Показать сообщение отдельно
Старый 29th June 2004, 02:56
Anonymous

Re: Зарубежная пресса о теннисе

McEnroe: Henman is tough
By John McEnroe
BBC Sport expert at Wimbledon

That was by far Tim's best match of the tournament.

He was a different player from what we saw in the first few rounds.

He came out so strong and just took charge. I think he took advantage of Mark (Philippoussis) playing a tough match yesterday because he looked a little sluggish for a while.

You saw why Henman could win the tournament. When push came to shove - and the fourth set tie-break was a perfect example - he just made things happen.

Philippoussis played some excellent shots, but Henman got himself out of trouble and showed a lot of mental toughness.

The doubters would have said he was bound to lose that fourth-set tie-breaker after everything he went through to get to that point.

It would have been typical Henman if the match had gone to a fifth set.

He has showed he's now past that point - but there is still work to be done.

This competition is not going to get any easier. (Mario) Ancic should be a match he should win, but he's a dangerous opponent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Pat Cash
Former men's champion

Boris (Becker) said he didn't think Tim had played that way for a long time, but I don't think Tim has ever played like that.

He's showing a toughness now that I don't think the majority of English people thought he had.

I've been sticking up for Tim saying he's tough.

He's damn tough and if people after watching this match think that Tim Henman is weak in the mind then they should go and see someone because they're the ones who are weak in the mind.

He is a tough competitor. I think he has finally broken through.

He has impressed me, he had to raise his game to beat Mark (Philippoussis) as he was playing good tennis at the end.

(Mario) Ancic is tough, but he's not in the same league as Philippoussis and I don't think it will be too hard for him.

I think he's on his way, I really do.