Показать сообщение отдельно
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:59
Anonymous

Re: Зарубежная пресса о теннисе

Capriati finds new coach; Goran's finale; Dokic rethink on Australia
Associated Press
Wimbledon, June 20

Jennifer Capriati is working with former US Davis Cup captain Tom Gullickson at Wimbledon after ending a brief stint with Heinz Gunthardt after the French Open.

Gullickson supervised Capriati's hitting session against French Open champion Anastasia Myskina on Sunday and later confirmed he'd be working with the 28-year-old American at Wimbledon.

"She knew I was going to be here, she asked me to help her out and I said 'sure, why not?"' said Gullickson, who briefly coached former men's No. 1 Pete Sampras. His brother, Tim Gullickson, was Sampras' longtime coach.

Gunthardt helped Capriati reach the semifinals earlier this month at Roland Garros, where she lost to Myskina. Capriati, a former French and Australian Open champion, didn't give a reason for the split.

Gullickson said he and Capriati hadn't spoken about the coaching arrangement extending beyond Wimbledon.

GORAN BACK TO WIMBLEDON: Goran Ivanisevic finetuned for his tour finale with a hitting session against defending Wimbledon champion Roger Federer before rain forced them from the practice courts on Sunday.

Injuries have forced Ivanisevic out of Wimbledon since he won the title - as a wild card entry - in 2001.

He's 2-9 in 2004, but says he's confident because he's still on a seven-match winning stretch at Wimbledon.

Federer is also on a winning run at Wimbledon. "He's a genius, an absolute genius," Ivanisevic said of Federer. "But I had him scared for a while _ I think I was leading 4-1 before the rain."

Ivanisevic's other tip for the tournament is Britain's Tim Henman, seeded fifth.

"For me the favorite is Tim and this is the first time I can say that. He is ready this year and I wish him all the best," he was quoted as saying.

Ivanisevic is less likely to be supporting any other Englishmen come Monday.

England plays Croatia on Monday night in the European soccer championships in Portugal, with both teams vying for a quarterfinal berth.

Showing his loyalty, Ivanisevic posed with the flag of his native Croatia for a swarm photographers as he walked to practice. He opens Monday against Mikhail Youzhny of Russia, seeded 31st, on Centre Court.

IN THE MIX: Anastasia Myskina is dining out on her French Open title.

Myskina beat Elena Dementieva in an all-Russian women's final at Roland Garros. Since then the pair met with President Vladimir Putin and had lunch with former president Boris Yeltsin. "For us, Boris Yeltsin is like a grandpa. He watched all the matches, and he knows everything about tennis," Myskina said Sunday. "He kept telling us how to play. He told us, 'Hit more down the line' or 'Improve your serve."'

Yeltsin told them he plans to come to Wimbledon for the first week to watch.

"He said, 'So you girls better win'," Myskina told reporters. Russian women have won two grasscourt titles in the last two weeks, with Maria Sharapova taking the DFS Classic title in Birmingham and Svetlana Kuznetsova successful at Eastbourne. "That shows that the (Russian) girls really want to win and they know how to win now," she said. "We have great competition between each other and we push each other."

CALLING AUSTRALIA HOME?: Jelena Dokic is contemplating returning to represent Australia three years after her family fled the country complaining of discrimination.

The Dokic family has settled in Serbia and Montenegro, although Jelena has distanced herself from her father and former coach Damir. Damir, who has been kicked out of Wimbledon and the US Open after volatile outbursts, last year said he never wanted to speak to his daughter again.

More recently, he told an English newspaper he wanted Jelena tested for drugs, criticized her new coach and boyfriend and vowed to come to Wimbledon to resolve his differences with his daughter.

Jelena Dokic declined to comment to The Associated Press on speculation that she'd asked for extra security at the All England Club to protect her from her father. Tournament organizers also wouldn't comment.

Dokic, a former Wimbledon semifinalist, said she's thinking of returning to Australia because "it's something I feel I should do."

"I spent a lot of my years there, I played for Australia and maybe I should go back," Dokic said.

She's missed the last three Australian Opens after her father accused organizers of rigging the draw against her in 2001. She entered for Melbourne Park in January, but withdrew citing a lack of fitness.

"I'm trying to make up my mind and I would really like to go back."