Форум о ставках на спорт  

Вернуться   Форум о ставках на спорт > BetsYouWin :: Обсуждения, прогнозы, мнения > Теннис

Результаты опроса: Знаете ли Вы английский язык?
Да 458 61.23%
Нет 290 38.77%
Голосовавшие: 748. Вы ещё не голосовали в этом опросе

Ответ

Опции темы
Старый 12th June 2004, 19:29
Anonymous

Пресса о теннисе

Здесь я буду публиковать теннисные новости и статьи. Переводом заморачиваться не буду, кто не знает английского если надо сам переведет...
Тема закрыта для обсуждения.
Старый 12th June 2004, 19:37
Anonymous

Re: Зарубежная пресса о теннисе

Eastbourne news: Myskina & Rubin to miss Eastbourne
Eurosport

French Open champion Anastasia Myskina and defending champion Chanda Rubin have both pulled out of next week's Wimbledon warm-up event at Eastbourne, organisers said on Friday. "I am very disappointed that I will miss Eastbourne this year," said Rubin.

"I feel my knee needs another few days in order for me to compete. "I wish the tournament much success and look forward to seeing everyone at Wimbledon." Myskina was equally disappointed. "I deeply regret not being able to compete in Eastbourne.

Winning a grand slam has its consequences, both physical and emotional," she said.

"I am exhausted from the daily wear and tear and am not prepared mentally and physically to start a tournament this coming week."

NAVRATILOVA ACCEPTS WILDCARD

Wildcards for the main draw were awarded to Slovak Daniela Hantuchova along with Britons Anne Keothavong and Amanda Janes. Martina Navratilova has accepted a wildcard for the Eastbourne qualifying event. Navratilova, who asked to play in the qualifying event as opposed to main draw to gain match practice, faces Mara Santangelo from Italy in the first round on Saturday.
Старый 12th June 2004, 19:41
Anonymous

Kuerten out of Wimbledon
Canada.com

Three-time French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten pulled out of Wimbledon yesterday because of a hip injury. The Brazilian clay-court star reached the quarter-finals at Wimbledon in 1999 but only made it to the second round last year. Kuerten, ranked 24th in the world, lost in the quarter-finals of the French Open last week.
Старый 12th June 2004, 19:47
Anonymous

Стенограмма полуфинала Ли - Грожан в Лондоне
BBC

All the action from the Stella Artois Championship semi-final as French fifth seed Sebastien Grosjean beats Korean qualifier Hyung-Taik Lee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third set

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (4-7) 2-6 Grosjean
Lee adopts an all-or-nothing strategy, which doesn't pay off and he finds himself 40-0 and three match points down. The Korean then nets a backhand and Grosjean reaches the final for the second year in a row.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (4-7) 2-5 Grosjean
Grosjean ekes out a match point but Lee saves it. The Frenchman seems keen to kill off the match, hurling himself around the court to defend against Lee's attacking play but the Korean holds on to cling on in the match.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (4-7) 1-5 Grosjean
Grosjean serves his 10th en route to building a 40-0 lead. He drops the next two points but holds to move within one game of a place of the final for the second year in a row.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (4-7) 1-4 Grosjean
Lee opens his account in the set with a comprehensive hold to love.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (4-7) 0-4 Grosjean
Grosjean looks to be cruising to a 4-0 lead at 40-15 but Lee digs in and forces him to deuce. Grosjean then steps up a gear to hold.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (4-7) 0-3 Grosjean
At 30-15, Lee double-faults and then Grosjean comes up with a brilliant lob to set up a break point. The Frenchman seizes the first and now it is he who has a double-break.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (4-7) 0-2 Grosjean
Lee's dogged determination ensures Grosjean has to battle before holding. The Frenchman goes 0-30 down and then has to save a break point but nevertheless looks like he has the match back under his control.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-7 (4-7) 0-1 Grosjean
Grosjean strikes immediately in the final set. Lee continues to go for his shots but prods a forehand approach wide to give Grosjean a break point. The Korean is then passed after his approach shot is too weak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second set

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 (7-4) Grosjean
The tiebreak goes with serve until 3-3 when Grosjean leaps onto a weak second serve from Lee with a powerful forehand winner. An ace takes him to 6-4 and two more set points. Lee hits long on the first to allow the Frenchman to draw level in the match.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 6-6 Grosjean
A loose backhand at 30-30 leaves Lee facing a set point. But the Korean keeps his serve and manages to hold to force another tiebreak.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 5-6 Grosjean
Grosjean has to battle hard to hold on to his serve but does so to leave Lee, who had been a double-break up, to serve to save the set.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 5-5 Grosjean
It is Lee's turn to stop the rot as he holds serve relatively comfortably.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 4-5 Grosjean
Grosjean's roll continues as he collects his fourth game in a row.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 4-4 Grosjean
Once again, the momentum swings as Lee makes a couple of misjudgements to go 15-40 down. Lee saves the first break point but another overhit shot costs him his advantage in the second set.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 4-3 Grosjean
If Grosjean thought that Lee was beginning to crack in the previous game, he is made to think again on his own serve. Lee has a point to re-establish his double-break but Grosjean does well to hold, coming up with some fierce and accurate hitting to hang on in the match.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 4-2 Grosjean
Grosjean fights back and immediately earns three break points - one is enough.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 4-1 Grosjean
Grosjean is in real trouble as he goes 0-40 down. Lee tightens slightly and the Frenchman saves the first two but Lee plays more aggressively on the third, forcing the error and securing a double-break.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 3-1 Grosjean
Grosjean shows signs of getting to grips with Lee's serve with a couple of winning returns but the Korean is unflustered and plays his own game to hold.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 2-1 Grosjean
Grosjean finally comes through after a tough game. Lee has two chances to win the game but cannot convert them and Grosjean holds on. The game includes the point of the match so far, which ends when Grosjean fails to put away a volley and Lee lashes a cross-court winner on the run.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 2-0 Grosjean
Lee consolidates his early break by holding serve to 15.

Lee 7-6 (7-4) 1-0 Grosjean
Lee's forehand is finding the target every time now and he forces a break point. Grosjean saves it but has to face another and the Frenchman then nets a backhand volley to put Lee firmly in the driving seat in this match.

First set

Lee 7-6 (7-4) Grosjean
The players trade early mini-breaks but all goes with serve until Grosjean pushes a forehand long at 4-5 down to give Lee two set points. The Korean piles on the pressure in the next point and eventually Grosjean again goes wide to concede his first set of the tournament.

Lee 6-6 Grosjean
Grosjean stops Lee's run of three games on the trot by holding serve. The first set will be decided by a tiebreak.

Lee 6-5 Grosjean
Lee moves ahead for the first time in the match and looks a lot more confident. He clinches the game with a sizzling backhand winner down the line.

Lee 5-5 Grosjean
Out of nowhere, Lee breaks back. At 30-15 down, he suddenly becomes more aggressive and comes to the net which puts Grosjean on the backfoot. The Korean is rewarded with his first break point, which he converts with some more attacking tennis.

Lee 4-5 Grosjean
Some speculative shots from Grosjean don't come off and Lee holds to love.

Lee 3-5 Grosjean
Grosjean looks supremely comfortable on his serve, mixing up his shots well - he does not drop a point as he edges to within a game of the first set.

Lee 3-4 Grosjean
Lee's best service game of the match sees him keep in touch in the set.

Lee 2-4 Grosjean
Two cheeky dropshots seal another good service game from Grosjean. The Frenchman has yet to be extended at Queen's this year and Lee will need to step up a level to pose him any problems.

Lee 2-3 Grosjean
Despite some beautiful play from Grosjean, Lee hangs on to his serve after some tactical rallying duels, more reminiscent of clay rather than grass.

Lee 1-3 Grosjean
Another easy service for the French fifth seed, who drops just one point.

Lee 1-2 Grosjean
The Korean again struggles on his serve, immediately going 0-30 down. He claws his way back to 30-30 but then makes an error to give Grosjean another chance to break. However, Lee recovers well and wins the next three points to get his name on the scoreboard.

Lee 0-2 Grosjean
Grosjean races through his opening service game, winning it without dropping a point.

Lee 0-1 Grosjean
Conditions are quite breezy in west London as Lee gives up his serve in the very first game. Both players look like they will be happy to stay at the back and rally. Lee double-faults at 30-40 down to hand Grosjean the early initiative.
Старый 12th June 2004, 20:02
Anonymous

BECKER: HENMAN CAN'T WIN WIMBLEDON
SkySports
Thursday 10th June 2004

Former champion Boris Becker believes Tim Henman cannot win Wimbledon.

The British number one reached the semi-finals of the French Open but German Becker believes the best he can hope for in his favourite tournament is a repeat.

Becker, who won Wimbledon three times and was the youngest ever winner at just 17, has tipped world number one Roger Federer and America's Andy Roddick for success in SW19.

"He's not number one player in the world but he plays above his level every year when Wimbledon comes," Becker said.

"On his very very best day, he's going to reach the semi-final."

But Becker believes Henman deserves the gratitude of a nation for his efforts over the last decade: "He's the only hope you have so you better support him and thank him forever."
Старый 12th June 2004, 20:05
Anonymous

Agassi aims to find form
BBC

Agassi sat out the clay court season and played only two matches
Andre Agassi believes he still has the game to win Wimbledon, 12 years after his previous title victory in SW19.
"That's why I'm still out here," the veteran of the tour told BBC Sport.

"It gets harder ever year and this year it has been a bit disappointing, especially my effort in Paris, but I'm feeling good in practice.

"Grass is a lot easier for me than clay. It's still a difficult surface, but you can hit your way out of trouble and I feel comfortable out there."

By his high standards the 34-year-old has had a poor year to date and is yet to pick up a title on what many predict will be his last season on the circuit.

But Agassi remains adamant he can test the best in the sport at Wimbledon despite losing at Queen's in his first outing on grass.

"I wouldn't say I'm in any sort of crisis," he added.

"My game feels great on the practice court, my body's feeling good and I'm striking the ball well.

"There's sometimes a long way between translating that into matches but I have hopes I can do that here.

"My standard is a lot higher than I've been showing, so until I'm hitting the standard I feel I can still play I'm not going to make any harsh judgements on myself.

"I just want to find the level of tennis I can play and make somebody beat it."
Старый 12th June 2004, 20:56
Anonymous

Gaudio to miss Wimbledon: Injured foot to keep French Open champ out of Wimbledon
June 12, 2004
SportsLine.com

WIMBLEDON, England -- French Open champion Gaston Gaudio pulled out of Wimbledon on Saturday because of a foot injury.

Gaudio has played at Wimbledon five times, but has never made it past the second round.

Wimbledon referee Alan Mills said Gaudio announced his withdrawal, but didn't specify the nature of the foot injury.

Justine Henin-Hardenne, the top-ranked female player, and No. 2 Kim Clijsters had already pulled out. Henin-Hardenne has a viral illness, while Clijsters has a wrist injury.

Last Sunday at Roland Garros, the unseeded Gaudio came back from two sets down to beat third-seeded Guillermo Coria 0-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 8-6 in the first all-Argentine final at a Grand Slam. No Argentine had won the French Open since Guillermo Vilas in 1977.

Wimbledon begins June 21.
Старый 12th June 2004, 21:34
Anonymous

Стенограмма полуфинала Роддик - Хьюитт в Лондоне
BBC

Result: Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 6-3 Hewitt

All the action from the Stella Artois Championship semi-final at Queen's Club as top seed and defending champion Andy Roddick beats sixth seed and three-time former winner Lleyton Hewitt.

Second set

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 6-3 Hewitt
Hewitt's nets a backhand to give Roddick a match point. He cannot take it but earns another one - and when Hewitt double-faults, Roddicks secures his place in the final.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 5-3 Hewitt
For the third time in the match, Roddick equals his record serve speed - 153mph. It is another comfortable service game.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 4-3 Hewitt
Hewitt continues to stay in touch in the set but he needs to make inroads into Roddick's ferocious serve if he is to get back into the match.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 4-2 Hewitt
Roddick picks up where he left off in the previous game, banging down a 153mph serve. He also comes up with his first double fault of the match - after 13 aces. He wins the game to 30.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 3-2 Hewitt
Hewitt is hanging in in the set, serving his seventh ace for a comfortable hold.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 3-1 Hewitt
Hewitt takes the American to deuce but Roddick's serving takes him out of danger. He secures the game with a 153mph serve, equalling his new record.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 2-1 Hewitt
Hewitt holds serve but Roddick looks to have the match in his grip now. He is dictating play and Hewitt is just hanging on.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 2-0 Hewitt
Roddick is feeling confident enough to serve and volley and consolidates his break by holding his own serve.

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) 1-0 Hewitt
Roddick strikes while the iron is hot and immediately breaks Hewitt at the beginning of the second set, rushing to 15-40 and then sealing the game with a winning forehand return.

First set

Roddick 7-6 (9-7) Hewitt
Roddick reaches double figures for aces as the tiebreak goes with serve. Hewitt gets the first set point but Roddick produces a 128mph second serve that clips the line. Roddick then gets a chance to clinch the set but Hewitt comes up with an ace. The Australian then splays a forehand wide to give Roddick a set point on his own serve. The American makes no mistake, securing the first set in 43 minutes.

Roddick 6-6 Hewitt
After his disastrous previous game, Hewitt holds serve to force the tiebreak. There are definite signs that Roddick is settling into the match and finding his range.

Roddick 6-5 Hewitt
Roddick races through his service game, not dropping a point.

Roddick 5-5 Hewitt
A nervy game from Hewitt sees him make a string of unforced errors to go 15-40 down. He saves the first break point with an ace but Roddick secures the second after a long rally.

Roddick 4-5 Hewitt
Roddick wins his service game to love.

Roddick 3-5 Hewitt
Hewitt serves his first double fault but still manages to hold serve comfortably. He has started the sharper of the two players and Roddick currently has no clue how to threaten his opponent's serve.

Roddick 3-4 Hewitt
After dropping his last service game, Roddick recovers to hold comfortably.

Roddick 2-4 Hewitt
The first point of the game is typical Hewitt - he chases everything down, turns defence into attack and wins the point. He goes on to win the game to love.

Roddick 2-3 Hewitt
Hewitt makes the first breakthrough. Roddick hits his fifth ace but Hewitt's stubborn returning sets him up with two break points. The former Wimbledon champion draws Roddick into the net and the passes him with a forehand down the line to secure the break.

Roddick 2-2 Hewitt
Hewitt holds to 15, serving his second ace of the match in the process.

Roddick 2-1 Hewitt
Roddick holds, clinching the game with a 145mph ace.

Roddick 1-1 Hewitt
Like Roddick, Hewitt holds serve to 30 but the Australian wins his points after long rallies from the baseline.

Roddick 1-0 Hewitt
A trademark service game from Roddick to open the match, blasting down three aces on the way to holding.
Старый 13th June 2004, 01:19
Anonymous

КОРИЯ РЕШИЛ СМЕНИТЬ ТРЕНЕРА
SportingLife

Current world number three Guillermo Coria has dropped his coach Fabian Blengino, because he "wants a change".

Although the Argentinian has enjoyed superb results over the last few months, Coria has decided not to extend Blengino's contract, which finished after Roland Garros in France.

"He told me that nothing had happened. He just wants a change," Blengino said.

"Since the first moment I knew we had an agreement until Roland Garros, but this decision surprised me.

"I thought we could continue together, because the job I did I thought was good, and we had positive results."

Under the guidance of Blengino, Coria won the ATP tournament in Buenos Aires and the Monte-Carlo Masters Series, and he reached the final in the Miami and Hamburg Masters Series as well as at the French Open.

Blengino, 38, had replaced Alberto Mancini at the start of the season, and Coria is yet to announce who will take his place.
Старый 13th June 2004, 14:01
Anonymous

Mauresmo heads Eastbourne lineup as French Open champion Myskina withdraws
ESPNStar.com

EASTBOURNE, England (AFP) - French Open quarter-finalist Amelie Mauresmo will head the field starting Monday at the US$585,000 women's grasscourt event here after the withdrawal of Roland Garros champion Anastasia Myskina.
Russia's Myskina, crowned champion a week ago on the clay in Paris, cited the stress of coping with a career-changing success as her reason for holding off an immediate return to tennis.

The pullout is the perfect opportunity for Mauresmo to polish her grass game at the English south coast resort.

The 24-year-old will enjoy a first-round bye at Devonshire Park along with number two Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, Japan's Ai Sugiyama and fourth seeded Russian Vera Zvonareva.

Mauresmo, the world number 4, owns titles from Berlin and Rome this spring, events which featured 17 of the world top 30 players on the WTA Tour.

The Frenchwoman stands 27-4 this season and will be hoping to put the grasscourt week to good use in hope of improving upon a career-best Wimbledon semi-final from two years ago.

Were she to reach next Saturday's final, she would be playing it a day before turning 25.

Missing from the field will be American holder Chanda Rubin, who is still hoping to be fit for the June 21 start of Wimbledon from a knee injury which kept her away from Paris.

Organisers also awarded a wild card entry to Slovak Daniela Hantuchova, who begins play against American veteran Amy Frazier.

Living legend Martina Navratilova, 47, was trying to qualify for the Eastbourne field after being granted a farewell singles entry into Wimbledon.

Seeds

Amelie Mauresmo (FRA x1)

Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS x2)

Ai Sugiyama (JPN x3)

Vera Zvonareva (RUS x4)

Silvia Farina Elia (ITA x5)

Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (ISR x6)

Francesca Sciavone (ITA x7)

Magdalena Maleeva (BUL x8)
Старый 13th June 2004, 22:38
Anonymous

LJUBICIC IN TUNE FOR WIMBLEDON
SportingLife

Ivan Ljubicic won the Liverpool International at Calderstones Park, beating Irakli Labadze 6-2 6-7 (9/11) 6-4.

The Croatian completed an excellent warm-up for Wimbledon by winning the deciding set and said: "I'm really happy with the way I played all week.

"I played some great tennis and I hope I can come back here again."

He added: "From the very first match I played, I felt really good on court. I'm happy with my form going into Wimbledon. Liverpool is a really great tournament and my game was perfect.

"With four wins under my belt I am full o confidence."

Labadze said: "Ljubicic was just too good for me, especially in the first set.

"I was a break up in the second set and playing much better. Every game I played, I seemed to be getting better."
Старый 13th June 2004, 23:48
Anonymous

Wimbledon doubt for Safin
BBC

Safin suffered with severe hand blisters at the French Open

Russia's Marat Safin participation in this year's Wimbledon has been placed in doubt after he pulled out of next week's Ordina Open in the Netherlands.

Safin will miss the grass court tournament because of the hand blisters he suffered with during the recent French Open.

The world number 15 will be replaced by Argentina's Guillermo Coria, the runner-up at Roland Garros.

The 2004 Wimbledon tournament begins on 21 June.

French Open runner-up Elena Dementieva has also withdrawn from the tournament because of tiredness.
Старый 14th June 2004, 13:37
Anonymous

SHARAPOVA EYES WIMBLEDON GLORY
SportingLife

Russian teenage sensation Maria Sharapova has her sights set on becoming the youngest Wimbledon champion since Martina Hingis seven years ago.

The 17-year-old from Siberia, the youngest of six Russian girls in the world's top 15, claimed a 4-6 6-2 6-1 victory over unseeded French youngster Tatiana Golovin in the final of the DFS Classic in Birmingham.

It was Sharapova's third WTA tour singles success but her first on grass and she will head for London this week with realistic hopes of going all the way after reaching the fourth round as a relative unknown a year ago.

The Florida-based youngster displays the same maturity and single-minded determination that helped Hingis to victory at Wimbledon three months before her 17th birthday.

And she admits she could not be in better shape as she seeks to improve on her quarter-final showing in the French Open.

"To win my first title on grass is a very big achievement and, of course, it's great preparation for Wimbledon," she said.

"I've got to look ahead now and prepare for Wimbledon with this tournament in my pocket. It was only a practice tournament but winning it is fantastic.

"Judging from the way that I have been playing this past week, I feel very confident. I'm comfortable on grass and I've got plenty of matches in.

"Match play is not the key right now, it's rest and practice. I will work on a few things that I felt weren't working well and try to improve those. So far I'm feeling very good."

Sharapova, whose glamorous looks and brilliant tennis skills helped draw capacity crowds to the Edgbaston tournament, also believes her victory in the doubles at Birmingham will help her preparations for Wimbledon.

"Playing doubles helps my game," she said.

"I don't think my game is 100% perfect at the moment. There are a lot of things I can learn.

"I'm not going to play doubles all year long but I use doubles as a kind of practice for new things and try them out."

Sharapova dusted herself down from her singles triumph to team up with fellow Russian Maria Kirilenko to beat Lisa McShea, of Australia, and Milagros Sequera, of Venezuela, 6-2 6-1.
Старый 14th June 2004, 13:41
Anonymous

Interview: Lleyton Hewitt
The Guardian
Monday June 14, 2004

The Australian firebrand breaks a long silence to tell Donald McRae about his running war with the men who run tennis, his fears over drugs, and why he is desperate to win Wimbledon again

'When I was a kid in Adelaide," Lleyton Hewitt says in an unusually reflective moment for a 23-year-old streetfighter of the court, "I dreamed of becoming No1 in the world, winning a grand slam and the Davis Cup for Australia." Hewitt looks thoughtfully at his right thumb and two fingers, having watched them count off those three soaring ambitions one by one. They soon fold back into the palm of his hand, each digit having made its point.

"I was lucky enough to win the Davis Cup in my first year in 1999. I won my first slam at the US Open in 2001 and became world No1 later that year. By the age of 20 I'd done it all."

Hewitt pauses meaningfully. He does not need to embellish his glittering record. For 75 weeks, from November 2001 to April 2003, he led the world rankings as the youngest-ever player to reach that exalted position in men's tennis. In the middle of that streak he won Wimbledon in 2002, crushing Tim Henman even more imperiously than Pete Sampras had done before him. Hewitt's desire, and the sheer force of character he exerted over bigger and stronger opponents, seemed unquenchable. His feisty willingness to speak his mind also made him, after Andre Agassi, the most recognisable personality on an anodyne circuit. His contrastingly sweet and understated relationship with Kim Clijsters, rising towards the peak of women's tennis at the same time, brought further attention.

Now, after 15 months of trouble and strife countered only by Hewitt's stubborn gumption and cheery happiness away from the court, the picture is more complex - and much more intriguing. Hewitt laughs knowingly when it is suggested that the older he gets the more interesting he becomes. He slipped 16 places in the rankings last year, ending 2003 in the near-anonymous slot of world No17. Yet his current struggle to fight his way back to the top, while continuing a bitter legal battle against the sport's governing body, the ATP, has become a compelling saga.

Hewitt is already on a little roll as he prepares for Wimbledon next Monday. He began the month by reaching the quarter-finals of the French Open, on clay, the surface he likes least, an achievement overshadowed by Henman's extraordinary run to the semis in Paris. Last week, while an exhausted Henman got dumped in his first match at Queen's, Hewitt cruised through to the last four where he eventually lost to Andy Roddick. He has climbed back to No8 in the world. Asked if he relishes the prospect of ramming even better results down the gullets of his critics, Hewitt shakes his head. "I don't think of it like that. When I go out to play I still believe I'm as good as anyone out there. I don't have to prove anyone wrong. I know what I've done and how well I can play."

This time last year, however, the cracks opened. At the French he had lost early to the unheralded Tommy Robredo after blowing a 6-4, 6-1, 3-0 lead, the kind of advantage he normally executes mercilessly. His former idol Pat Cash remarked that Hewitt "wins a lot of matches on his speed and determination and guts" - implying that without those attributes he was just "an average player".

Hewitt dropped his coach Jason Stoltenberg, who accused him of being "stressed out". He then walked on to Centre Court for the first match of Wimbledon against an unknown 6ft 10in Croatian qualifier, Ivo Karlovic. He began exactly like a defending champion, racing away with the first set 6-1 and closing in on the second, when suddenly his "wheels", which Sampras called the best in tennis, simply fell off. It was a humiliating defeat for a proud champion.

From the outside it was easy to assume that Cash was right and that Hewitt's limitations had been rumbled. It was just as simple to imagine another scenario - Hewitt, having fulfilled all his courtside fantasies, had lost the intensity which once made him so formidable. How long, after all, could he keep burning with such furious resolve? The truth, again, was more complicated.

Hewitt made a calculated withdrawal from the ATP tour. While he claimed, and still does, that his absence from the circuit for so many months last year was motivated by a desire to concentrate on the Davis Cup, and to heal a small injury to his foot, his disdain for the governing body was plain. Hewitt had instigated a $1.5m (£850,000) lawsuit against the ATP in Australia last year after they attempted to fine him $100,000 - later reduced to $20,000 - for failing to attend a television interview in 2002.

"Their whole case was built on a lot of lies," Hewitt says. "Apart from the TV interview there've been other situations. A lot of things need to come out."

He suggests that, in 1999, the ATP had attempted to "blackmail" him by threatening to withhold a wildcard to their Lipton tournament in Miami. "They were trying to make me have a physical the day before. The tournament director had already given me a wildcard and said that if I didn't do it then they were going to take it back."

While the blackmail accusation is driven more by youthful spleen than lasting substance, Hewitt insists that "I want to stand my ground [against the ATP]. It's not about the money. I think they've done a few [wrong] things and I want them to apologise." His running war will not just disappear. "It's going to be a long battle," he smiles grimly. "These are murky waters, mate."

When Hewitt returned to the tour at the start of the year, in Australia, the murk became a little thicker after it was revealed that Greg Rusedski had tested positive for nandrolone - only to be eventually exonerated once it was shown again that the ATP could have issued tainted supplements to its own players. "It's weird the amount of stuff that's come out over the last few years. Before Rusedski there was [Guillermo] Coria and [Juan Ignacio] Chela and a lot of guys who said the tablets were contaminated - and some of it was being dished out by the ATP. I don't really know what to think."

Hewitt says that "when you see guys in the fifth set looking even stronger than they did in the first it does make you wonder a little bit how clean the sport is. The thought does go through your mind - you're not human if it doesn't. I don't know what the whole deal is with the ATP supplements; I just know that something's going on."

Hewitt's trust in his own game, at least, is absolute. He helped Australia win the Davis Cup last year with monumental victories over Switzerland's Roger Federer, the current world No1 and reigning Wimbledon champion, and Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero. Against Federer he came back from two sets down and 3-5 in the third. "What he did today," said John Fitzgerald, his Davis Cup captain, "I'll never forget for the rest of my life."

"I played as well as I've ever played," Hewitt agrees. "Federer was producing great stuff but I started attacking more and just kept running for balls. I ran over him in the fifth."

Federer exacted revenge at the Australian Open, beating Hewitt with some magical tennis which illustrated why John McEnroe regards the Swiss player as possibly "the most talented player I've ever seen". Hewitt shrugs nonchalantly as he is entitled to do with a 7-4 record over Federer. "At the Australian I had to hold my hand up - 'too good, mate'. But he won't have forgotten the Davis Cup."

Hewitt is amusingly laconic when asked if Federer is the world's best player. "He's up there. But [Marat] Safin, on his game, is as hard to beat. And Andy Roddick has that huge serve. A lot of guys can beat you if you're slightly off your game."

Having beaten Henman in all seven of their matches, Hewitt cannot be expected to be anything more than polite about Tiger Tim. While he showed startling conviction in Paris, Henman will now endure even greater expectation. Hewitt's warning that the French is "the toughest of all the slams" might haunt Henman as fatigue takes hold of him in Wimbledon's fevered atmosphere.

"Tim's coped well at Wimbledon but it's hard. I know how he feels because I've been trying to win the Australian for ages - the pressure keeps building. But I don't believe any hoodoo's stopping me in Melbourne. Tim will be just as positive he can win Wimbledon."

Since winning the tournament Hewitt's passion for Wimbledon has deepened. "The more you go back the more you love it. At first it was weird. You can't see it on TV, but the aura gets you, seeing all the names of past champions and especially that walk to Centre Court. I struggled initially. People said I wasn't big enough to do well on grass or that I should serve and volley more. After a while I just said: 'Stuff it, I'm going to play my game and make it work.'

"Wimbledon became my whole focus in 2002 but I got a tough first-round draw. I played Jonas Bjorkman and he'd won Nottingham the week before. But I got through in straight sets and some of the bigger names dropped out. Then came that semi against Henman. I think Tim would agree he'd have been a big favourite for the title if he'd got past me. But I never thought I was going to lose."

Hewitt has had a year to become more philosophical about his doomed defence. "I'd heard of him," he says of Karlovic, "and seen him practice. I also prepared with my sister's boyfriend, Jochaim Johannsen, who has as big a serve as that guy. For a set and a half I returned beautifully and had set points to go 2-0 up. I wasn't able to take them and the whole match turned. He got real confident and I had few opportunities to break his serve. It was horrible.

"I had to hang around until the very end because Kim made it through to the semis and she was in the doubles as well. So I ended up watching the men's final on TV in London - only because Mark Philippoussis was playing. I didn't enjoy it."

There will be no such torture this year. The injured Clijsters will be a mere spectator rather than a contender. She will also come to Wimbledon as Hewitt's fiancée after he proposed to her just before Christmas "on a boat in Sydney Harbour. I kinda knew she was going to say yes but it was very cool."

Hewitt's candour and unexpected warmth envelopes his conversation, whether he is addressing the flaws in his tennis ("not enough cheap points on my serve, mate") or celebrating the wonder of the Adelaide Crows and Aussie rules football ("best sport in the world, mate"). Yet he is at his most endearing when talking about Clijsters. "I first spoke to Kim at the Australian Open in 2000. I don't want to sound like I was hunting her down but I really liked her. At the Open we ended up at the same table with a girl I knew from the juniors. We started talking and, boy, that was it."

While Hewitt is entertaining when describing their fantastically ostentatious new house in Adelaide - featuring an indoor cinema and an outdoor waterfall - he is positively earnest when stressing that, "at home we just like chilling together. We'd love a little more privacy but, apart from being recognised all over Australia, we're kinda big news in Belgium! But we don't like the limelight like most famous couples. We prefer to be normal because attention should only be on us when we're out on the court. That's where we shine in public. The rest belongs to us."
Старый 15th June 2004, 13:00
Anonymous

Agassi Wimbledon fear
This is London
15 June 2004

Andre Agassi is reportedly set to pull out of next week's Wimbledon with a hip injury.

The 34-year-old American is reported to be ready to inform the All England Club of his decision later today and take an enforced rest from the game.

If the speculation is true, it could mean Agassi will not play at the Championships again. One theory is that he has decided to save his energy for the American hardcourt season, which culminates in the US Open in August.

Agassi's absence would be a huge blow to Wimbledon organisers. The charismatic American is one of the game's great attractions. During 13 appearances at SW19, he won the title in 1992, lost to great rival Pete Sampras in the final in 1999 and made the semi-finals three other times.

Agassi requested a wildcard entry into last week's Stella Artois Championships following his first-round defeat at the French Open but was beaten his first match on grass this summer by Russian Igor Andreev.
Старый 17th June 2004, 13:43
Anonymous

Посев на Уимблдоне
Tennis.com
6/17/04 7:07 AM

Мужчины:
1. Roger Federer, Switzerland (1)
2. Andy Roddick, United States (2)
3. Guillermo Coria, Argentina (3)
4. David Nalbandian, Argentina (4)
5. Tim Henman, Britain (6)
6. Juan Carlos Ferrero, Spain (5)
7. Lleyton Hewitt, Australia (10)
8. Rainer Schuettler, Germany (8)
9. Carlos Moya, Spain (7)
10. Sebastien Grosjean, France (13)
11. Mark Philippoussis, Australia (19)
12. Sjeng Schalken, Netherlands (17)
13. Paradorn Srichaphan, Thailand (14)
14. Mardy Fish, United States (18)
15. Nicolas Massu, Chile (12)
16. Jiri Novak, Czech Republic (16)
17. Jonas Bjorkman, Sweden (27)
18. Feliciano Lopez, Spain (22)
19. Marat Safin, Russia (15)
20. Tommy Robredo, Spain (23)
21. Juan Ignacio Chela, Argentina (20)
22. Andrei Pavel, Romania (21)
23. Max Mirnyi, Belarus (28)
24. Fernando Gonzalez, Chile (26)
25. Dominik Hrbaty, Slovakia (25)
26. Taylor Dent, United States (31)
27. Robby Ginepri, United States (34)
28. Ivan Ljubicic, Croatia (29)
29. Nicolas Kiefer, Germany (33)
30. Vince Spadea, United States (30)
31. Mikhail Youzhny, Russia (36)
32. Hicham Arazi (35)

Женщины:
1. Serena Williams, United States (10)
2. Anastasia Myskina, Russia (3)
3. Venus Williams, United States (8)
4. Amelie Mauresmo, France (4)
5. Lindsay Davenport, United States (5)
6. Elena Dementieva, Russia (6)
7. Jennifer Capriati, United States (7)
8. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Russia (9)
9. Paola Suarez, Argentina (11)
10. Nadia Petrova, Russia (12)
11. Ai Sugiyama, Japan (13)
12. Vera Zvonareva, Russia (14)
13. Maria Sharapova, Russia (15)
14. Silvia Farina Elia (16)
15. Patty Schnyder, Switzerland (17)
16. Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi, Israel (18)
17. Chanda Rubin, United States (19)
18. Francesca Schiavone, Italy (20)
19. Fabiola Zuluaga, Colombia (21)
20. Elena Bovina, Russia (22)
21. Magdalena Maleeva, Bulgaria (23)
22. Conchita Martinez, Spain (24)
23. Jelena Dokic, Serbia-Montenegro (25)
24. Mary Pierce, France (26)
25. Nathalie Dechy, France (27)
26. Lisa Raymond, United States (28)
27. Alicia Molik, Australia (29)
28. Emilie Loit, France (30)
29. Dinara Safina, Russia (31)
30. Eleni Daniilidou, Greece (32)
31. Amy Frazier, United States (33)
32. Meghann Shaughnessy, United States (34)
Старый 17th June 2004, 13:50
Anonymous

Coria names new coach in time for Wimbledon
Reuters
Thu 17 June, 2004 09:00

LONDON, June 17 (Reuters) - Seeded third despite never having won a match at Wimbledon, Argentine Guillermo Coria has hastily appointed a new coach in a bid to hold his own at the grasscourt grand slam.

Coria, who split with Fabian Blengino at Queen's Club last week in the wake of his French Open final defeat, said on Thursday that he had agreed terms with a new mentor.

"My new coach is my countryman Gabriel Makus," the world number three said.

"We will begin to work together next Monday, when Wimbledon begins.

"Gabriel knows tons about tennis and he is very responsible. There is not much more to say because the results he has obtained speak for themselves.

"Those results were with great tennis players like Juan-Ignacio Chela, with whom I will share Gabriel, David Nalbandian and Nicolas Massu among others."

Coria said his agreement with Makus is until December but stressed that he hoped he would work with his compatriot until he retires.

"Luckily we had everything settled quickly, because it is not good not having a coach," he said on his website.

Coria split with Blengino following his heartbreaking loss in Paris two weeks ago.

He had led compatriot Gaston Gaudio by two sets to love in the Roland Garros final before letting victory slip away and had sobbed uncontrollably afterwards.

The claycourter insists his decision to part with Blengino had nothing to do with that defeat, however, and nor was it prompted by his opening loss at the Stella Artois Championships last week.

"The agreement with Fabian was just to Paris," the 22-year-old said. "Even though the relationship was very good, I felt it was time to set a team in place that can stay together until the end of my career... that is why I decided not to be with him anymore."

Blengino guided Coria to the Buenos Aires Open and Monte Carlo Masters titles this year, and to the finals of the Miami and Hamburg Masters.

The Argentine is honing his grasscourt skills in the Netherlands this week where he made a late decision to enter the Ordina Open in Den Bosch. Wimbledon begins on June 21.

Markus will be Coria's sixth coach, after Gustavo Luza, Mariano Monachesi, Franco Davin, Alberto Mancini and Blengino.
Старый 17th June 2004, 14:02
Anonymous

Ivanisevic back at last
BBC

Goran Ivanisevic has an appointment that he does not intend to miss.

Almost as soon as he had won the Wimbledon title in 2001 his thoughts turned to defending it.

More pertinently he identified the pride he would feel when walking out on Centre Court as the defending champion.

He missed that opportunity and is still waiting to return to the scene of his greatest victory almost three years on, but his wait is almost at an end.

Three years ago Ivanisevic delighted fans with a memorable five-set win over Pat Rafter and decided to delay much-needed shoulder surgery so he would be free to play as the title holder on the first Monday in 2002.

The decision back-fired and having become the first wildcard to win Wimbledon, the Croat became the first defending champion to pull out of the championships since America's Stan Smith in 1973.

He has been beset by injury ever since, but his pride means that he will finally return this year, despite incessant pain in his shoulder.

"I am not defending champion, Roger Federer is but I'm an unbeaten champion. I'm unbeaten at Wimbledon since 2001," the 32-year-old said.

"Centre Court is the most magical court I ever played on in my life and Wimbledon and me have a special relationship.

"Wimbledon means everything to me. Everyone thought I was finished and then I won it. My goal is to pass the first week, then... who cares?"

The road back to SW19 may seem long, but in comparison to his marathon efforts at winning the title it is a mere sprint.

Ivanisevic first played at Wimbledon as a 16-year-old in 1988 and has been in love with the tournament and the venue ever since.

"If you asked me which I would prefer, 21 tournament victories and £12m in winnings, or winning Wimbledon and nothing else, well, I don't even have to think about it: Wimbledon of course," he has said.

He reached the semi-finals in 1990 and, after beating Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras, the first of four finals in 1992.

It was to be the first of three painful defeats as Andre Agassi came through in five sets, but only after Ivanisevic had failed to make a backhand volley on championship point.

Sampras proved the immovable object on the other side of the net in the two subsequent finals in the nineties.

In 1994 he lost in straight sets, capitulating in the last 6-0, and then four years on gave the great American arguably his hardest final test before going down in five sets after being overwraught by mental anguish.

With his career tailing off as injury took its toll, All England Club officials invited Ivanisevic, everyone's favourite runner-up, to the millennium tournament's parade of champions.

Many thought it would be the last they would see of Ivanisevic on Centre Court, but the company must have inspired the Croat.

He returned the following year, ranked 125, without a title to his name in three years and off the back of a first round loss at Queen's.

But Ivanisevic ripped up the form book beating Andy Roddick, Greg Rusedski, Marat Safin and Tim Henman on his way to the last match of a rain-affected championship.

The final was held over to the Monday and after five sets of to-and-fro tennis, Ivanisevic spurned three set points - the first two by double faults - before finally landing the title he craved 6-3 3-6 6-3 2-6 9-7.

Now he finally gets the chance to return for one last outing before ending his career at the Olympics.

He has not won a title since Wimbledon three years ago, is down in the dark recesses of the rankings, the shoulder is still playing up and he lost in the first round of Queen's.

It sounds a familiar story. Stranger things have happened.
Старый 17th June 2004, 14:08
Anonymous

Capriati calls for change
BBC

Jennifer Capriati has called for changes to the structure of the tennis season in a bid to stop the glut of injuries that have hit women's tennis.
Capriati's call comes after 12 months during which all the sport's major players have suffered injuries.

"There definitely needs to be a break and that has been the case for the last few years now," she told BBC Sport.

Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters have pulled out of Wimbledon while other stars are nursing niggles.

Henin-Hardenne, the world number one, withdrew due to a lack of fitness while her Belgian compatriot Clijsters, the world number two, has a persistent wrist injury.

The pernicious nature of the women's game has accounted for all six of the sport's big hitters at some stage in the last year and not since Wimbledon 2003 have they all lined up present and correct for a Grand Slam.

Henin-Hardenne's absence means Lindsay Davenport is the only Grand Slam ever-present in that time.

With two players already ruled out before a ball has been struck in anger, short-term question marks remain over the ability of the Williams sisters, Capriati or Davenport to last a fortnight's wear and tear on the grass.

In the long-term all those connected with the sport, from stars to sponsors and marketeers to the media, will be wondering when they will see the best go head-to-head on the biggest stages again.

Capriati, despite learning to listen to her body after 14 years on and off on the tour, believes change is the only solution.

"If you can't change the dates of the Australian Open you could finish the season earlier, after the US Open," she suggested.

"You need more time to first of all do nothing, just rest and have some fun in the off season. Then you need some time to get yourself back in shape and only then should you come back and start playing competitively."

Only two years ago the women's game was at an all-time high, but since then injuries as much as anything else have seen it lose out in the popularity stakes to the men's game.

And in that time Martina Hingis, who had topped the world rankings for four consecutive years, quit the sport after losing her battle against severe ankle problems at 22.

Another Martina, Wimbledon legend Navratilova, agrees with Capriati that something has to be done.

"Potentially the women's game is fantastic but we have too many ailing players," she said.

"The game needs Serena and Venus. If you lose two of the biggest stars, the game suffers. The fascinating time will be when they are at full force and playing.

"That's where the strength of the game is, in all the stars playing at the same time."

It seems a hopeless wish at present, and even when they did all compete in last year's Wimbledon, the Williams sisters played out the final at half pace due to injury.

The victory proved particularly pyrrhic for Serena. Her successful defence was the last tennis she played in the season and the prognosis was equally poor for Venus.

She had problems with her stomach, leg and hip and was ruled out for the rest of the year with an abdominal injury.

Venus returned to action at the Australian Open, where she lost in the third round, while Serena stepped back on the court, after eight months out following knee surgery, at March's Nasdaq 100, a tournament dubbed the fifth major.

But her winning return was offset by the absence of Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters and Davenport as the revolving door of the tour's Emergency Ward 10 continued to spin off its axis.
Старый 17th June 2004, 22:36
Anonymous

Nadal and Escude miss Wimbledon
BBC

Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal and Nicolas Escude have joined the list of big names to withdraw from Wimbledon.

Spanish 18-year-old Nadal, who has been recovering from a broken foot-bone, has been advised by his doctor not to play.

He had been pitted against American Jeff Salzenstein in Thursday's draw for the first round and could have faced second seed Andy Roddick in round two.

Frenchman Escude, who reached the quarter-finals at Wimbledon in 2001, has a shoulder problem.

Andre Agassi, the 1992 champion in SW19, current French Open champion Gaston Gaudio and Brazilian Gustavo Kuerten are among the names to have already pulled out of the tournament.

Nadal's place will go to a lucky loser from qualifying.
Ответ

Опции темы