Форум о ставках на спорт  

Вернуться   Форум о ставках на спорт > BetsYouWin :: Обсуждения, прогнозы, мнения > Теннис

Результаты опроса: Знаете ли Вы английский язык?
Да 458 61.23%
Нет 290 38.77%
Голосовавшие: 748. Вы ещё не голосовали в этом опросе

Ответ

Опции темы
Старый 24th June 2004, 13:03
Anonymous

Re: Зарубежная пресса о теннисе

Henman must raise his game, says McEnroe
Reuters

TIM Henman must lift his game if he is to stand any chance of ending Britain's 68-year wait for a home-grown Wimbledon men's singles champion, three-times winner John McEnroe says.

The American former world number one watched Henman's tentative first round win over Spain's Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo on Tuesday and was not overly impressed by the Briton's performance against a man making his debut at Wimbledon.

Tim Henman may have won his first-round match but it was not a good performance or the level you would expect from him,” McEnroe told BBC television after the four-set contest.

“That was surprising to put it mildly, considering how well he played in the French Open.

“It looked like he was overwhelmed by the expectation on him at the start.”

But McEnroe said he expected the four-times semi-finalist to raise his standard as the tournament progressed.

“Tim knows he needs to play a lot better than that if he wants to win Wimbledon, but then you have to win matches like that if you are going to win it.

“You would hope that would be the only match where he is going to really struggle.

“Having got that first one out of the way, he will be better prepared and feel more relaxed in the second round.”
Старый 24th June 2004, 13:03
Anonymous

Heuberger looking to upgrade against Henman
Breaking News
24/06/2004

Switzerland’s Ivo Heuberger hopes to receive an “upgrade” when he takes on Tim Henman in the second round at Wimbledon.

Heuberger had never won a match at Wimbledon before his first round victory over Flavio Saretta of Brazil, losing to Pat Rafter on court 18 and Andy Roddick on court two on two of his previous three appearances.

But when the 28-year-old qualifier finally takes on the British number one at the All England Club he will look to make the most of the experience.

“I will try to concentrate more or less on my game and try to have fun,” said Heuberger, an ex-boyfriend of former women’s world number one Martina Hingis. “If I have fun, that means I will play well.

“For sure, Tim never lost here in the first week for the last nine years so you can see he’s really tough to beat. But in the end I try not to think too much about it.

“I don’t think I’ll watch a tape of Tim’s match. From what I heard they said that Tim was very tight (against Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo) so it’s going to be a different match.”
Старый 24th June 2004, 16:05
Anonymous

О женском турнире, стартующем в конце августа:

Pilot Pen: Suarez in, Seles a strong maybe
Journal Register News Service 06/24/2004

While the rest of the crowd at Wimbledon has spent the last couple of days dodging persistent rain drops, Pilot Pen Tennis Tournament Director Anne Worcester has been basking in the good news raining down around her.

Worcester, who is at Wimbledon trying to secure commitments from top-30 players, received her first dose of positive news when the Women’s Tennis Association notified her that the world’s 11th-ranked player, Paola Suarez, committed to play in New Haven.

It didn’t stop there.

Worcester received a fax from Leo Clijsters, the father of Kim Clijsters, confirming that, contrary to recent published reports, the world’s No. 2-ranked player still plans on entering the Pilot Pen.

Then Worcester heard that former No. 1 Monica Seles said on a Wednesday teleconference that if her injured left foot allowed her to play, she is considering returning to the tour and her first event likely would be the Pilot Pen.

Not a bad couple of days.

Suarez, the world’s top-ranked doubles player, is enjoying her best season at singles. She peaked at No. 9 earlier this month, aided by a run to the French Open semifinals. She is well known in New Haven after winning the 2003 Pilot Pen doubles title with Virginia Ruano Pascual.

"When I got (to Wimbledon), I was in the WTA Worldwide (committee) meetings," Worcester said. "They asked me if I wanted some good news now or if I wanted to wait until July 12 (when the full playing field is announced)."

When it comes to good news for her tournament, Worcester obviously prefers the present over the future.

"I figured why wait," said Worcester, who will be at Wimbledon until Sunday. "(Suarez) made the day last year (at the Pilot Pen) after the short singles final (when Lindsay Davenport had to retire against Jennifer Capriati) when she had that memorable doubles final."

Suarez becomes the sixth top-15 player to commit to the Pilot Pen, which will run from Aug. 20-28 at the Connecticut Tennis Center.

Seles, who reached the 2000 final in her last appearance at the Pilot Pen, hasn’t played a tour match since losing in the first round of the 2003 French Open after being hampered by a stress fracture in her left foot. She plans on playing in three matches for the New York Sportimes in World Team Tennis between July 8-11.

If her foot responds favorably, Seles said she would consider a return to the WTA tour.

"I would like to play a tournament before the (U.S.) Open and (then) the Open," Seles said.

"(The Pilot Pen) is one of my favorite tournaments and I would like to play there, that is the one I am looking at. But right now, I don’t even want to look that far ahead."

Worcester said she would offer one of the Pilot Pen’s three wild cards to Seles if the 53-time WTA singles champion requests entry into the tournament.

Worcester also said that she isn’t expecting to hear anything from (No. 7) Capriati, (No. 10) Serena Williams and (No. 8) Venus Williams -- the top three uncommitted American players -- until the days leading up to the entry deadline on Aug. 19.

Worcester is hopeful that top 10 players and Pilot Pen regulars (No. 3) Anastasia Myskina, (No. 4) Amelie Mauresmo and (No. 6) Elena Dementieva will commit to the Pilot Pen before she heads home.

The deadline for the main draw, with the exception of the three wild cards, is July 5 with the field being announced on July 12.

"We are hoping we get at least one of them," Worcester said. "Every (uncommitted player) ranked 11 to 25 we will sit down with so we can have the same strong competition we always have."
Старый 25th June 2004, 20:50
Anonymous

Organisers admit umpire error in Venus's defeat
Fri June 25, 2004
Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - Wimbledon organisers admitted that an umpire had made a mistake in the decisive tiebreak that ended with Venus Williams's shock exit from the tournament on Thursday.

But twice Wimbledon champion Williams refused to blame the confusion for her 7-6 7-6 second-round defeat to Croatian teenager Karolina Sprem.

"Regrettably the chair umpire made a mistake which ended up with the score being called wrongly," championship referee Alan Mills said in a statement.

"Although both players seemed perplexed, neither queried the decision and play continued, resulting in Miss Sprem winning the tiebreak and the match.

"As neither player queried the score with the chair umpire at the time, the result stands as the mistake should have been rectified immediately."

Mills said he would be reviewing the mix-up on Friday with chair umpire Ted Watts.

After making her earliest exit from Wimbledon in seven years, Williams said: "I'd like to think that one point doesn't make a difference. But obviously it was a wrong call, yes."

Prem said: "I was confused .. I was like 100 per cent in the match."

The problem arose when Sprem faulted on her first serve at 2-1 down in the second set tiebreak. Rather than announce a second serve, Watts mistakenly gave the Croatian a point and called the score at 2-2, leaving both players looking perplexed.

After that Williams moved to a 6-3 lead and had three set points to get back into the match. Sprem saved all three and converted her first match point.

Williams said she had not contested the point because she often lost track of the score during matches.

"I just didn't want to lose my focus. And a lot of times, like I said, I just felt maybe that I had lost track.

"But it did seem -- I thought I remembered her only having one serve but then again, you know, it's a long time ago now ..."
Anonymous

Right answers for Roddick in charm offensive
25 June 2004
Independent

"A letter of the alphabet which is a female sheep? Come on, come on... " It may seem like a simple enough question when you know that the answer is U (ewe, geddit?), but for Andy Roddick, when it was put to him by the gimlet-eyed Robinson woman in a special tennis version of The Weakest Link, the correct response was not immediately forthcoming.

Sensing defeat, he got out with a measure of grace by suggesting, "Baa?" Half an hour after winning his rain-delayed first-round match against Chinese Taipei's Yeu-Tzuoo Wang yesterday, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4, the reigning US Open champion and Wimbledon No 2 seed discovered that it was his recent TV appearance which topped the press agenda.

The rash, brash Roddick who emerged at SW19 four years ago might have reacted, shall we say, adversely to such a line of questioning. But Roddick 2004, coached * and calmed * by the experienced Brad Gilbert, responded to the inevitable ribbing with charm.

Asked if Wang was now the weakest link, a ready smile appeared somewhere under the very long brim of his very white baseball cap. "It was probably me again," he responded, to general laughter. In the course of the last couple of years, Roddick's status has altered. Where once he was the latest American kid on the block with a monster serve, he is becoming a celebrity. With a monster serve.

His mighty powerful exploits are saluted this week in no lesser organ than The Beano, where he appears as an opponent for Dennis the Menace, eventually succumbing to the spiky-haired contender in the red and black hooped strip.

"My PR people came to me and said they wanted to do a cartoon," he said. "It sounded like a cool thing. It was for kids." As for his choice of opponent * well, there were no problems about that. "That's what I was called when I was a youngster," Roddick recalled. "It's fitting."

There is better news for the cartoon Roddick when he appears in a forthcoming edition of the comic. This time he manages a win, against Billy Whizz, after parachuting from an aircraft * something he actually likes to do * and delivering an extra special serve upon landing on the court.

So much for the comic cuts. Events elsewhere last month illuminated the serious side of Roddick's character as he reacted with courage and composure to help shepherd guests from a fire, which burnt out the hotel he was staying at in Rome and claimed several lives.

Coincidentally, as Roddick was concluding his first round match against a 19-year-old qualifier making his Grand Slam debut, one of those whom he enabled to jump down onto his balcony by dragging his bed out of the room, Seng Schalken of the Netherlands, was also progressing to the second round. Roddick accepted that the events had created some kind of a special feeling between the two of them.

"Anytime you share an experience that's pretty traumatic there's always something there," he said. "I don't know what that bond is, but there's something a little different there, and that's kind of neat."

Despite winning the Stella Artois Championships at Queen's Club by way of preparation for what is his fourth successive Wimbledon, the 22-year-old from Omaha, Nebraska, birthplace of that other celebrated virtuoso of the volatile Marlon Brando, was not entirely at ease in finishing off a task that had been left hanging at 4-2 in the first set since Tuesday.

"It was tough out there," he said. "The wind was swirling, and I was not feeling comfortable. I got through it, but I feel there's a lot of room for improvement."

Roddick's trademark serve boomed to good advantage, regularly reaching 130 mph and, on one occasion, registering 144mph. But the aces and unreturnable deliveries were mixed up with an uncomfortable proportion of double faults, and as the younger player mixed up volleys, drop-shots and lobs, Roddick occasionally found himself outmanoeuvred. "Get rid of that shot! Just put it away!" he berated himself as one forehand went weakly wide.

Some of his fitfulness may have stemmed from his enforced confinement of the previous day, when the elements prevented any play. "I got in about 10 and left at 7.30," Roddick said. "I'm not good for sitting around with nothing to do. My boredom was killing me."

As he looks ahead to a tournament where he is seeded to meet the man who beat him in last year's semi-final en route to winning, Switzerland's Roger Federer, Roddick * who next plays Austria's 128th-ranked Alexander Peya * knows he will encounter increasing pressure of a more active kind.

What will help him to respond, however, is the memory of how he rose to the challenge of being favourite for the last US Open title.

For all that, he did not hesitate when asked to say who has the harder task in tennis: himself at the US Open or Tim Henman at Wimbledon. "Oh, hands down, Tim," he said. Which is less than comforting for the British No 1 who is due to meet him at the semi-final stage.
Anonymous

Keothavong raises only brief hopes
Times Online

FOR a few moments in the seventh game, when Maria Sharapova was rocking, the idea of Anne Keothavong rolling to the finest win of her career on a beautiful London evening gathered force amid the packed stands of No 18 Court. Keothavong subsequently broke the Russian No 13 seed to lead 4-3. She did not win another game.

Sharapova, all bristling intent, won 6-4, 6-0 and Keothavong, the British No 1 (indeed the nation’s only woman with a ranking inside 200) was left to ponder the second tournament in succession when she played well at the outset, only to fall away. Against Cara Black at Eastbourne, it was slipshod, but Sharapova is different altogether, a 17-year-old of real promise who may yet have a resounding say in the destiny of these championships.

There are not many players who punch the air and squeal with delight from the first point. Sharapova is just that kind of competitor, hitting the ball with enormous power and risking all, sure that the opponent will not be able to stay with her. Keothavong is not quite up to that standard but the forces behind her, including Colin Beecher, her new coach, will endeavour to bring the best from her undoubted promise.
Anonymous

McEnroe: Rusedski can do better
By John McEnroe
BBC Sport expert at Wimbledon

I would give Greg Rusedski a B plus after his win over Davide Sanguinetti.

Not an A - that would be a straight sets win.

And there is so much left for Greg to do at Wimbledon.

I've always been amazed why he doesn't do better at what is his home tournament.

No-one wants to play him, because his game is tailor-made for grass courts.

Ultimately his lack of success down the years has to be because of what goes on between the ears, because he's a big strong guy, he has the serve and he has the game.

Obviously his backhand is a weakness, but no-one's perfect.

When you consider how aggressive a game he plays, and how comfortable he is at the net, the fact that he has only made one quarter-final is disappointing to say the least.

Against Sanguinetti he had it relatively easy.

After losing the second set he bounced back well, took the game to his opponent when he had to, spotted when Sanguinetti was vulnerable and took full advantage.

Sanguinetti didn't seem to care. At one stage he seemed to he was trying to lull Greg to sleep.

I know that Italy went out of Euro 2004, but at least they looked like they were trying. In the fourth set Sanguinetti almost seemed to accept defeat.

He made every shot Rusedski hit looks easy, to be honest. He didn't even seem to be trying.

Greg will have it much harder against Rainer Schuettler in next round.

Grass isn't the German's favourite surface but he competes hard and won't go out without a fight.

He's very fit and, unlike Sanguinetti, will chase every single point?

Can Greg handle him? Well, it's time for him to deliver.
Старый 25th June 2004, 20:51
Anonymous

Don't write me off, says beaten Venus

LONDON (AFP) - Two-time champion Venus Williams insisted she is not a spent force despite crashing to her worst Wimbledon defeat in seven years on Thursday.
The 24-year-old, the number three seed, was sent packing in the second round by Croatia's Karolina Sprem 7-6 (7/5), 7-6 (8/6) to inflict the American's worst defeat here since 1997 when she lost in the first round on her debut year.

The defeat also meant Venus is now without a Grand Slam title for almost four years when she clinched the US Open but she is adamant that she is not a spent force.

"I think that's pretty harsh," snapped the disconsolate Williams when asked if she was a declining power.

"I feel like that when I step out on the court that the person playing me has to really believe that they can win against me and that it's going to be very tough."

Williams endured an injury hit end to 2003 when she was forced to skip the tour between Wimbledon and the Australian Open and then picked up an ankle injury on the eve of the French Open.

In Paris, she fell to eventual champion Anastasia Myskina in the quarter-finals.

"I feel good. I always felt I was playing very well at this tournament," said Venus who was the champion in 2000 and 2001 and then runner-up to sister Serena in 2002 and 2003.

"But sometimes you don't always win. I only care about what I think. Today she came out and she felt as if she had nothing to lose which she does when she plays me.

"It's been a while since my last final in a major tournament. But I enjoy playing and I enjoy my life. I enjoy all the blessings which I have receive and I think there are many people who would love to be in my place.

"So I will take advantage of that and keep enjoying it."

The Williams' family title hopes now remain with defending champion Serena who faces France's Stephanie Foretz for a place in the third round.
Anonymous

Логи следующих матчей:

Henman v Heuberger
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3839289.stm

Rusedski v Schuettler
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3839345.stm

Baltacha v Capriati
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3840069.stm

Сегодняшние фотки:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tenn...es/3839333.stm
Anonymous

Wimbledon diary - day five
By Nick Crowther and Caroline Cheese
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Fresh from the shame of thinking a female sheep was called a "baaaah" during the Weakest Link, Andy Roddick has taken another blow to his pride.

In the current edition of The Beano, big-serving A-Rod takes a pasting from none other than Dennis the Menace.

Dennis' secret to beating Roddick is his unique training regime.

He ties some sausages around his waste and allows Gnasher the dog to chase him round the garden. Something for Roddick's rivals to think about, maybe?

DROPPED CATCH

It doesn't come around too often, the chance of a bit of personal glory by catching a ball that lobs into the crowd in a packed Wimbledon court.

The opportunity presented itself to yours truly during Amelie Mauresmo's clash against Jennifer Hopkins.

The ball looped kindly over my head after Hopkins skied her attempt at reaching one of Mauresmo's serves.

However I tamely spilled the ball behind me into the lap of Hopkins' coach - I'm blaming the sunshine.

TIM PAYS PENALTY

The English contingent at Wimbledon on Friday morning were still smarting from their team's agonising Euro 2004 exit.

A few of the fans heading for Henman Hill were still wearing their England shirts, but one summed up the sombre mood by explaining: "We're in mourning."

But if Tim Henman thought the public might now turn their full attentions to his title campaign, he was wrong.

He arrived for his first match of the tournament on Centre Court to be greeted by a very sparse crowd.

LUNG UNDONE

It's amazing how teachers can cleverly adapt lessons these days to suit the current affairs of the day.

Over my cornflakes this morning my 10-year-old daughter Sacha was telling me about her biology class with her teacher, Mr Wildgust.

"Did you know, daddy?" she said. "If you unravel two human lungs they would have roughly the same surface area as a doubles court at Wimbledon."

Amazing, but I'm not sure the All England Tennis Club will test it out!
Anonymous

I can win Wimbledon: Ferreira

LONDON (AFP) - South Africa's Wayne Ferreira said he could go on to win Wimbledon after his comprehensive 7-6 (7/3), 6-3, 6-1 win over Slovakian Karol Kucera in the second round.

The 32-year-old will now face the unseeded Florian Mayer in the third round after the German produced a shock victory over Argentinian third seed Guillermo Coria.

"I feel I have a great chance to go on and win this tournament - there's no question," Ferreira said Friday.

"I have the game for it, I have the ability for it, and I have the belief that I still can [win it].

"I'm not in the shape I'm accustomed to but I'm hitting the ball better than I have for six or eight months.

"I feel that there is no pressure on me if I win or lose - I wish tennis had been like this for my whole career."

Ferreira is playing his final Wimbledon and will bow out of the sport after the Athens Olympics and South Africa's Davis Cup relegation clash against Greece at Stellenbosch in September.

"It's great to be here for the last time," added Ferreira.

"There's nothing more special than walking into these grounds as a player - I'm always going to miss that and it will be very sad if I came here next year in another capacity."

Ferreira utterly outclassed Kucera in a reverse of last year's first round when the 30-year-old Slovakian won in straight sets.

After winning the first set on a tie-break, the South African cruised through the next two sets in double quick time as Kucera's game fell apart.

"Even if I had lost the first set I still think I would have been in it as he was giving me chances to break his serve," said Ferreira.

"I saved three set points at 4-5 in the first set and I served my way out of trouble."

Ferreira said he was happy with his third round draw against Mayer, despite the German's impressive four-set win over Coria in the second round.

"I would have been happy to play either of them," said Ferreira.

"Looking at the draw and the people I could have played, it doesn't look that bad.

"But I did watch a bit of [Mayer's] last set and he is very, very good.

"He's tough, he's got a great backhand and it's not going to be easy, but it's definitely someone I am happy to play."

Ferreira said that his outstanding memory from a long career in tennis was his quarter-final with John McEnroe at the Australian Open in 1992.

"He's such a great character," added Ferreira. "Just to say that I actually played on the same court as him is a great memory."
Старый 25th June 2004, 21:34
Anonymous

Sanchez-Vicario Returns
Wimbledon.org
Friday, June 25, 2004

The crowd on Court 3 were treated to a rare glimpse of Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario after the popular Spanish player came out of retirement to prepare for the Olympics.

She joined fellow senorita Anabel Medina Garrigues in a first round Ladies ' Doubles match, facing former Wimbledon Champion and compatriot Conchita Martinez and Slovakian Janette Husarova, but was quickly defeated 6-2, 6-2.

Sanchez-Vicario retired in Luxemburg in 2002, but has been entering a handful of tournaments in preparation for her Olympic doubles bid. Although not playing regularly, the Spaniard looked far more at ease than her partner, intercepting volleys at the net and holding her own in baseline rallies.

However, the pair were unable to dominate the number seven seeds, who always found the gaps. Sanchez-Vicario will not be boarding the plane just yet though - she is making an appearance in the mixed doubles with America's Jared Palmer, much to the delight of her fans.
Старый 26th June 2004, 13:58
043 043 вне форума
Демон

Вот еще теже новости из СЭкса. Чел говорит о Шараповой, Шпрем и Андрееве.

WIMBLEDON с Виктором ЯНЧУКОМ

Заслуженный тренер России Виктор Янчук, находящийся сейчас в Лондоне, продолжает комментировать для "СЭ" наиболее интересные события Уимблдонского турнира. Очередной разговор мы начали с обсуждения ближайших и более дальних перспектив Марии Шараповой, которая в четверг обыграла англичанку Энн Кьотавонг и вышла в третий круг, а вчера вечером на Центральном корте четвертым запуском должна была встретиться с Даниэлой Гантуховой из Словакии.

- К Шараповой сейчас огромный интерес, особенно в Англии. Можно ли сказать, что она готова выиграть турнир "Большого шлема"?

- Пожалуй, пока я не решился бы назвать ее одним из фаворитов турнира. Все-таки Мария еще не раскрылась полностью, есть игроки, которые действуют более энергично, на других скоростях. Хотя она, безусловно, находится на подъеме, старается и играет достаточно уверенно. Козыри Шараповой - молодость, задор, да и зрители ей симпатизируют. Однако в физическом плане ей надо еще прибавить. Не думаю, что Мария уже в этом году сумеет выиграть Уимблдон.

- Она сильно выросла в последнее время, однако не секрет, что у двух других высокорослых россиянок - Елены Бовиной и Динары Сафиной, которые, к сожалению, из-за травм уже выбыли из борьбы в Лондоне, есть проблемы с перемещением по корту. Как в этом игровом компоненте обстоит дело у Шараповой?

- Нельзя напрямую связывать недостаточно хорошее перемещение по корту с ростом игрока. Это вопрос чисто индивидуальный. У Бовиной и Сафиной ведь еще в детском возрасте прослеживались определенные недостатки.

Каждый игрок имеет свои плюсы и минусы. Невысокие теннисистки - такие, как Татьяна Панова, - компенсируют недостаток мощи за счет быстроты. В принципе Шараповой можно пожелать немного прибавить в движении. Хотя по большому счету считаю, что у нее оптимальные средние показатели. Мария в меру быстрый игрок, да и рычаги Шараповой, как говорят в теннисе, работают на нее.

- Как вы оцениваете шансы россиянки в поединке с Гантуховой?

- Словачка более опытный и зрелый игрок. Движения у нее более отточенные, лучше чувство мяча, да и действует она чуть разнообразнее, чем юная Шарапова. В то же время Марию наверняка будут поддерживать трибуны, которые всегда симпатизируют молодым. Кстати, нельзя сказать, что Мария откровенно заигрывает с публикой. На корте она ведет себя достаточно сдержанно, но в то же время игриво. Поэтому психологическое преимущество, думаю, будет на стороне Шараповой. По большому счету шансы соперниц примерно равны, но я бы отдал небольшое предпочтение нашей теннисистке.

- Четверг ознаменовался сенсацией - Винус Уильямс на двух тай-брейках уступила 30-й ракетке мира хорватке Каролине Шпрем. Чем вы объясните неудачу американки - невезением (ведь на тай-брейке во втором сете при счете 2:1 в пользу Уильямс английский судья Тедд Уоттс ошибочно присудил очко ее сопернице) или тем, что Шпрем, отыгравшая затем три сет-пойнта, просто была сильнее?

- Силы теннисисток в этом матче были примерно равны, скорее, даже небольшое преимущество имела Уильямс, которая действовала мощнее, разностороннее и к тому же с небольшим запасом. Но Центральный корт Уимблдона процентов на 90 болел за Шпрем. Трибуны просто визжали от восторга, когда она выигрывала важные очки!

Может, англичане поддерживали новичка, а может, были какие-то другие мотивы. В любом случае эта огромная поддержка сыграла свою роль. Думаю, если бы девушки играли на каком-нибудь из дальних кортов, хорватка уступила бы.

- В прошлом году Шпрем, будучи еще никому не известным игроком, приезжала в Москву на матч первого круга Fed Cup и уже тогда произвела очень хорошее впечатление. Насколько велик ее потенциал?

- Матч на матч не приходится, но во встрече с Уильямс она показала теннис уровня первой десятки мирового рейтинга. Скорости, передвижение, концентрация внимания - все было на высоте. В то же время трудно сказать, продемонстрирует ли Каролина все это в других встречах. Одно дело - поединок против Уильямс, в котором ей было нечего терять, и совсем другое - матч с равной себе соперницей. К примеру, той же Шараповой.

- Дебютант Уимблдона Игорь Андреев в первом круге обыграл голландца Джона ван Лоттума, а во втором вчера в упорнейшей борьбе уступил чилийцу Фернандо Гонсалесу. Чем вы объясняете то, что россиянин, который в последние годы тренировался на грунтовых кортах в Испании и лишь три недели назад дебютировал на траве, выиграл за это время пять матчей из восьми?

- Мы с Шамилем Тарпищевым, который тоже присутствует на Уимблдоне, очень заинтересованно наблюдали за Андреевым. Пока англичане еще не поняли, что, скорее всего, Игорь - это восходящая звезда, поэтому его матчи ставили на дальние корты. Ван Лоттум - уважаемый соперник. Но Андреев - уникальная личность. Кажется, что внутри у него находится атомный реактор - с такой фантастической энергией наносит он свои удары. Скорость мяча при этом сумасшедшая, пусть даже Игорь порой его перекручивает.

В первом сете Андреев разбирался, что надо делать и как, а разобравшись, стал раз за разом окучивать противоположную половину корта, заставив соперника потерять нить игры. Ван Лоттум оказался просто обескуражен этой дикой скоростью - и сдал матч.

Должен сказать, что Игорь - настоящий феномен. Когда энергию своих мышц он использует в нужном направлении, с ним очень трудно бороться. В аналогичном стиле играл в свое время Бьорн Борг, побеждавший на Уимблдоне пять раз. Андреева, конечно, с великим шведом сравнивать нельзя, но с его силой ударов можно точно так же не бегать к сетке. Вопрос в том, насколько Андреев справляется сам с собой. Если все нормально, то укрыться от его ударов невозможно. Ведь на корте нет блиндажа или окопа.

- Но Гонсалесу, у которого, как и у Андреева, коронный удар - форхэнд, Игорь проиграл...

- Я считал, что это будет примерно равный матч, с хорошими перспективами для нашего игрока. Если бы он сразу поймал свое оптимальное состояние, то, вероятно, переиграл бы Гонсалеса. Однако первые два сета остались за чилийцем, и, хотя Андреев героически боролся и сравнял счет, решающий сет снова выиграл Гонсалес, сделавший брейк в восьмом гейме.

- Есть ли у Андреева резервы?

- Конечно. Например, подает он очень сильно - заколачивает мяч со скоростью за 210 км/ч. Однако забрасывает его немного влево, как будто для выполнения крученой подачи, хотя на самом деле бьет плоско. То есть техника движения на траве у Андреева немного несовершенна. Значит, есть и поле для совершенствования.
Старый 26th June 2004, 16:34
Kasper Kasper вне форума
Чумовой динозаврЪ

Williams No Longer Invincible: Navratilova
26.062004 Wimbledon

LONDON (Reuters) - The Williams sisters Serena and Venus may have lost their aura of invincibility in women's tennis for good, according to nine-times former Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova.
Venus, Wimbledon champion in 2000 and 2001 and runner-up to Serena in 2002 and 2003, was beaten by Croatian Karolina Sprem in the second round at this year's Wimbledon and lost in the French Open quarter-finals with Serena earlier this month.

Venus has not won a grand slam since her 2001 U.S. Open win and Navratilova said: "It seems the Williams sisters have lost the aura of invincibility they once had.

"Neither of them has it right now, but I think Venus in particular hasn't had it for a while.

"She's lost confidence in herself and the rest of the players realize when that happens that they have a chance."

Writing in The Guardian newspaper Saturday, 47-year-old Navratilova added: "Winning and losing is a habit. The winning habit that Venus had is gone and with it, naturally, the aura of invincibility.

"I think that disappeared when she began to lose regularly to Serena, as she did in the last two Wimbledon finals and as she has in three other grand slam finals in the last two years."

"That's what got to her first because she knew that she had everyone else covered but she could never beat her sister.

"I don't know how introspective Venus is or how much she thinks about things but I would say that devastated her more than she let on and perhaps more than even she knows.

"The Williams sisters used to be able to back it up and now they can't and no matter how much swagger you've got, if you don't back it up with your game, then it's all just a bunch of smoke and people don't fall for that for very long," she said.

Navratilova matched Venus's performance at Wimbledon this year by reaching the second round of the singles. She believes the two sisters need to forget their dress designing and other outside distractions if they want to re-establish their dominance.

"The good news for Venus is that the downward spiral may not be permanent, though you can only retrieve the aura of invincibility by winning," Navratilova said.
"Tennis has to be the only thing in your life. You can have a hobby that you do last thing at night if you like but you can't be scheduling your tennis around your hobbies.

"You can have outside interests but tennis has to be firmly number one. It has to be the most important thing and I don't get the feeling that it was for either Venus or Serena.

"It's almost as though the winning came so easily that they almost got distracted and sooner or later that is going to catch up with you. I think it's already caught up with Venus and it may have caught up with Serena as well. I hope not."

Источник: Reuters
Старый 28th June 2004, 07:13
043 043 вне форума
Демон

О Шараповой, Звонаревой, Мыскиной и Андрееве:

WIMBLEDON с Виктором ЯНЧУКОМ

ЦЕНТРАЛЬНЫЙ КОРТ БОЛЕЕТ ЗА ШАРАПОВУ!

В субботу на Уимблдоне весь день шел дождь, и в итоге, как и в среду, на турнире вновь не состоялось ни одного матча. Поэтому впервые с 1997 года и лишь в третий раз в истории организаторы были вынуждены открыть ворота Всеанглийского клуба лаун-тенниса и крокета в первое воскресенье - хотя это традиционный уимблдонский выходной.

Сказать, что нынешний турнир складывается особенно удачно для российских игроков, пока нельзя. Тем не менее по окончании первой недели борьбу за главный приз продолжают трое из них - Мария Шарапова, Вера Звонарева и Надежда Петрова, которые пробились в четвертый круг.

- Наверное, наилучшие шансы на выход в полуфинал у Шараповой, которая в случае победы в 1/8 финала над американкой Эми Фрезер сыграет с одной из представительниц Азии - Тамарине Танасугарн из Таиланда или японкой Айи Сугиямой? - спросил ваш корреспондент заслуженного тренера России Виктора Янчука, специально для "СЭ" комментирующего события Уимблдона-2004.

- Пожалуй, да. Все три соперницы Шараповой по зубам, особенно если ее матчи будут проводить на одном из главных кортов. Ведь Мария пользуется мощной поддержкой зрителей.

- Вы, наверное, не рассчитывали, что Шарапова в третьем круге отдаст всего четыре гейма финалистке завершившегося неделю назад крупного турнира в Истборне словачке Даниэле Гантуховой?

- Действительно, не рассчитывал. Но тут сказался фактор Центрального корта. Кстати, практически не сомневаюсь в том, что этот матч поставили на главную арену Уимблдона из-за желания публики увидеть на нем Шарапову. Хотя Гантухову здесь тоже хорошо знают, на этот раз симпатии болельщиков были полностью на стороне россиянки, играющей интересно и зрелищно. Мария просто хорошо делала свое дело, в то время как Даниэла, что называется, провалилась. Думаю, для нее явилось неприятным сюрпризом то обстоятельство, что зрители предпочли ей более молодую Шарапову.

- Какое впечатление в матче против молодой аргентинки Гиселы Дулко произвела на вас Вера Звонарева?

- Звонарева добросовестно и очень упорно работает на корте, действуя достаточно ровно. Она владеет хорошей стабильной игрой с задней линии, умеет сохранять концентрацию внимания, и это, безусловно, дает результат. Тем не менее хотелось бы, чтобы к сетке Вера выходила поувереннее. Не мешает ей освоить и другие приемы, с помощью которых можно было бы перехватывать инициативу.

- Не исключено, что в матче второго круга Fed Cup в Буэнос-Айресе через неделю после окончания Уимблдона Звонаревой придется вновь встретиться с Дулко. Как вы оцениваете такую перспективу?

- Думаю, что после победы на Уимблдоне должно сказаться психологическое преимущество Веры.

- А каковы шансы Звонаревой в матче четвертого круга против экс-первой ракетки мира Линдсэй Дэвенпорт, которая в 1999 году выиграла Уимблдон, а в 2000-м дошла до финала?

- Справиться с американкой ей будет труднее. Линдсэй - это очень серьезный боец, к тому же она находится в неплохой форме. Мощная и опытная Дэвенпорт, конечно же, будет бить по мячу сильнее, искуснее и опаснее, чем та же Дулко. Вот тут Звонаревой могут пригодиться какие-то неожиданные ходы, о которых я говорил чуть выше. Скажем, внезапные короткие удары по восходящему мячу, выходы к сетке, различные варианты подачи. По темпу, я думаю, Звонарева в состоянии сдержать атаки соперницы, но нестандартные действия ей точно не помешают.

- Что, на ваш взгляд, помешало Анастасии Мыскиной одолеть в 1/16 финала 31-летнюю Фрэзер, выступающую на Уимблдоне с 1988 года, но ни разу не проходившую здесь дальше четвертого круга?

- Еще в матче второго круга Мыскиной против венгерки Анико Капрош складывалось впечатление, что наша теннисистка заставляет себя играть как бы через силу. Потом это подтвердила и сама Анастасия на пресс-конференции. Тогда ей, к счастью, удалось уйти от поражения, а здесь не удалось, поскольку сказалась сильная усталость. Также Мыскину спросили, как она относится к траве. Она ответила, что ничего против нее не имеет. Просто для того, чтобы побеждать на этом покрытии, нужна соответствующая подготовка, которой Мыскина была лишена, поскольку нуждалась в отдыхе после победы на Roland Garros.

Сейчас Анастасия хочет сфокусироваться на участии в Fed Cup и Олимпийских играх.

Хотел бы также вернуться к поражению Игоря Андреева от чилийца Фернандо Гонсалеса. Россиянин держался против более опытного соперника абсолютно на равных и на мощные удары отвечал остро. Более того, в силовой перестрелке Игорь даже немного превосходил Гонсалеса. Начиная с третьего сета он практически владел инициативой. Однако Фернандо, будучи более искушенным мастером, решил продемонстрировать неожиданные приемы - выполнял мягкие подрезки, провоцируя Игоря на выходы к сетке и там обводя его. Раз за разом Гонсалес передергивал игру Андреева, рвал ритм, иногда сам бежал к сетке, и в итоге это дало о себе знать.

В общем, Гонсалес продемонстрировал более широкое и разностороннее мастерство. У Андреева, безусловно, тоже есть свои козыри. Но, выражаясь кулинарным языком, к вкусному основному блюду ему не мешало бы добавить гарнир с приправами. Тогда игра Игоря засверкает еще ярче, и он будет демонстрировать теннис самого высокого уровня. Досадно лишь, что он на наших с Шамилем Тарпищевым глазах сломал две ракетки, да еще так сильно, что те потеряли конфигурацию.

С одной стороны, похвально, что Игорь так мотивирован на победу. С другой - он берет не лучший пример с Марата Сафина. Действовать таким образом не следует ни при каких обстоятельствах. Поэтому Андрееву в начале его большой карьеры хочется по-доброму посоветовать иначе проявлять свои желания и эмоции.
Старый 28th June 2004, 22:43
Anonymous

Логи следующих матчей:

Henman v Philippoussis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3847469.stm

Hewitt v Moya
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3847187.stm

Davenport v Zvonareva
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3846769.stm
Старый 29th June 2004, 01:56
Anonymous

Looking to the future: Sharapova
Monday June 28, 2004
Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) Cautionary tales are as common in women's tennis as wishful thoughts.

Year after sorrowful year, promising teens see their championship dreams dashed by a plethora of problems:

Overbearing parents;

Injuries and burnout from too much play;

The burdens of high expectations;

The diversions of wealth and fame;

The misguided belief that they can do anything and everything they want.

Even champions who get past their most vulnerable years, like Venus and Serena Williams, are not immune from the trappings of success.

Venus Williams, ousted in the second round of Wimbledon, seems on a downward spiral the result of repeated injuries and time devoted to an interior design career.

Serena Williams is chasing a third straight Wimbledon title but is looking shaky. Even in the absence of the two injured Belgian bashers No. 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne and No. 2 Kim Clijsters Serena hardly has a lock on this one. Blame her slow recovery from knee surgery or blame her passion for fashion design, but either way she's down to No. 10 in the rankings.

It's easy to trot out the names of precocious teens who struggled. Anna Kournikova, hyped for her talent and celebrated for her beauty, never won a tournament as injuries took their toll. Jelena Dokic and Mirjana Lucic fell victim to domineering fathers. Iva Majoli won one major then yielded to indolence. Jennifer Capriati had her infamous troubles before salvaging her career in her mid-20s.

Now along come the latest "can't miss'' misses: Russia's Maria Sharapova, Croatia's Karolina Sprem and Russian-born Frenchwoman Tatiana Golovin.

Sharapova, 17, is the only one of that group to be seeded at Wimbledon No. 13 and is in the quarterfinals after beating Amy Frazier 6-4, 7-5 on Monday. Sprem, 19, beat Venus Williams in the second round and Magdalena Maleeva in the fourth round. Golovin, 16, joined them in the quarters and so far this year has risen from No. 365 to No. 50 in the rankings.

Sharapova may be the most promising, a potential No. 1 player in a few years. She's 6-feet tall and has the full game: a big serve, strong groundstrokes from both sides, a willingness to go to the net. There is still a certain awkwardness as she learns to gauge her long-legged stride, but the elements of greatness are there. She's also benefited from the easiest of draws so far, and a little luck never hurts.

The tall blonde is already being called "Anna Kournikova with a game.'' Yet the oh-so-serious Sharapova disdains the comparison and doesn't deserve it. She's won three tournaments and believes she can capture Wimbledon "If not this year, then next year.''

Despite a peripatetic childhood, she seems wonderfully centered.

"I'm an ordinary girl living an extraordinary life,'' she said.

Indeed. Born in Siberia, she and her family moved to the shore of the Black Sea when she was 2. Then she found herself in Florida at age 7 with her father and a paltry $700 to bankroll a dream. Her mother, unable to get a visa, had to stay in Russia.

"The move to the U.S. was an amazing sacrifice,'' she said. "I mean, you either win or you lose. It's a 50-50 chance that you're going to play on Centre Court at Wimbledon a few years later.''

Fifty-fifty? Try one in a 50 million, even if you've been told by the likes of Martina Navratilova when you're a 5-year-old that you've got talent. So much can go wrong along the way.

Instead, everything went right, a tribute to her grit.

"I'm a tough girl,'' she said. "I know what it takes to be No. 1 and to win a Grand Slam event. It's just hard work. There's nothing else to it. Working day after day, off season as well, before and during tournaments. And that's what I'm prepared to do.''

Her father, Uri, was a friend of Yevgeny Kafelnikov's father and they used to play each other for beers. One day, she was handed one of Kafelnikov's rackets. She banged shots against a wall through the winter.

Her father encouraged by Navratilova's comment at a clinic took Maria to the land of sunshine and tennis camps. Uri got a job as a tennis coach in Venice, Fla., and two years later Maria was invited to attend the Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy at Bradenton, home of Kournikova and former home of Monica Seles, Andre Agassi and numerous other pros.

Sharapova trained against older players and lived in a dorm with them, feeling like an outsider.

"I learned to be a better fighter,'' she said. "And I never cried.''

It wasn't until she was 11 that her family reunited in Bradenton, all of them focusing on Maria's career.

It's all inspiring in a way, and worrisome in another way. Others have traveled that path, shown promise and failed. The years of practice can wear a player down, physically and psychologically. Few players driven to become champions actually reach their goals.

Those are considerations Sharapova, her family, her agent and her fans ought to think about before anyone anoints her too soon as the next great champion.
Anonymous

McEnroe: Henman is tough
By John McEnroe
BBC Sport expert at Wimbledon

That was by far Tim's best match of the tournament.

He was a different player from what we saw in the first few rounds.

He came out so strong and just took charge. I think he took advantage of Mark (Philippoussis) playing a tough match yesterday because he looked a little sluggish for a while.

You saw why Henman could win the tournament. When push came to shove - and the fourth set tie-break was a perfect example - he just made things happen.

Philippoussis played some excellent shots, but Henman got himself out of trouble and showed a lot of mental toughness.

The doubters would have said he was bound to lose that fourth-set tie-breaker after everything he went through to get to that point.

It would have been typical Henman if the match had gone to a fifth set.

He has showed he's now past that point - but there is still work to be done.

This competition is not going to get any easier. (Mario) Ancic should be a match he should win, but he's a dangerous opponent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Pat Cash
Former men's champion

Boris (Becker) said he didn't think Tim had played that way for a long time, but I don't think Tim has ever played like that.

He's showing a toughness now that I don't think the majority of English people thought he had.

I've been sticking up for Tim saying he's tough.

He's damn tough and if people after watching this match think that Tim Henman is weak in the mind then they should go and see someone because they're the ones who are weak in the mind.

He is a tough competitor. I think he has finally broken through.

He has impressed me, he had to raise his game to beat Mark (Philippoussis) as he was playing good tennis at the end.

(Mario) Ancic is tough, but he's not in the same league as Philippoussis and I don't think it will be too hard for him.

I think he's on his way, I really do.
Anonymous

I'm at my peak - Henman
Ananova

Tim Henman raised the expectations of his army of fans even higher on Monday night when he insisted he is playing the best tennis he has ever produced at Wimbledon.

The British number one booked his place in his eighth Wimbledon quarter-final in nine years when he defeated Australia's Mark Philippoussis 6-2 7-5 6-7 7-6 in another late-night thriller on Centre Court. He will take on Croatia's Mario Ancic on Wednesday confident his game is improving with perfect timing to deliver the first men's singles title by a British man for 68 years.

"It was good stuff," said Henman. "Irrespective of whether he's hitting first serves or second serves I'm hitting good returns. I'm doing the basics very well and hitting good returns but that's my level. It was good but I don't feel it was anything out of the ordinary."

"I'm very pleased with my performance. I didn't play great in the first and third rounds and just because I played better doesn't change my thoughts, my feelings, my expectations.

"When you play to that level sometimes when you come up short you have to say 'Too good' to your opponent. I thought we both played some great tennis.

"I'm going to enjoy this one and then when I get on the practice court start thinking about Ancic."
Старый 29th June 2004, 10:08
043 043 вне форума
Демон

У ШАРАПОВОЙ ПОЯВИЛСЯ ШАНС ПОВТОРИТЬ УСПЕХ МОРОЗОВОЙ

Вчера Мария Шарапова вышла в четвертьфинал Уимблдона. Теперь у 17-летней россиянки появился реальный шанс повторить достижение Ольги Морозовой, которая в 1974 году играла в финале самого престижного в мире турнира.

Главное событие вчерашнего дня: в полку россиянок, которым удавалось дойти до четвертьфиналов турниров "Большого шлема", прибыло!

Начиная с Уимблдона-2002 хотя бы одна из наших соотечественниц неизменно попадает в восьмерку сильнейших каждого из четырех главных теннисных состязаний. Не стал исключением и нынешний Уимблдон. Причем Мария Шарапова покорила четвертьфинальный рубеж уже в 17 лет. В более молодом возрасте это удавалось сделать только одной россиянке - Анне Курниковой, которая здесь же, в Лондоне, в 1997 году вышла в полуфинал. Тогда ей было 16.

Вчерашняя соперница Шараповой, американка Эми Фрэзер, которая старше ее на 14 лет, выступала на Уимблдоне уже в 16-й раз. Хотя в классе Мария уже превосходит Фрэзер, той знакомы все премудрости игры на траве, поэтому неудивительно, что борьба получилась упорнейшей. В первом сете Эми, удачно использовавшая силу ударов россиянки, имела преимущество в два гейма, и только ценой больших усилий Шараповой удалось перехватить инициативу. Во второй партии равная борьба шла до счета 5:5, однако и в этом случае Мария удачнее провела концовку, тогда как ее соперница в важнейшие моменты допускала двойные ошибки.

Что сказать об Айи Сугияме, оппонентке Шараповой в четвертьфинале? С такой опасной теннисисткой Марии на этом Уимблдоне встречаться еще не приходилось. И дело не только в том, что 28-летняя японка стоит в мировой классификации на 12-м месте, на две ступени выше, чем Шарапова. Сугияму отличают типичные японские качества - аккуратность и упорство. Кроме того, будучи сильным парным игроком, она умеет действовать разнообразно и выходить к сетке. Тем не менее одолеть ее, безусловно, для Марии задача посильная.

Одновременно с Шараповой на Центральном корте пыталась выйти в четвертьфинал Вера Звонарева, встречавшаяся с куда более грозной и маститой оппоненткой - Линдсэй Дэвенпорт. Москвичка сражалась достойно, однако в решающие моменты мастерство американки все-таки сказалось. Острая подача Дэвенпорт и ее накатистые удары справа - именно те технические элементы, которые позволяют уверенно чувствовать себя на траве.

В первом сете на два брейка Линдсэй россиянка ответила лишь одним. Во второй партии Дэвенпорт несколько потеряла нить игры, а Звонарева, наоборот, встрепенулась и повела - 3:0. Более того, в четвертом гейме на чужой подаче Вера имела брейк-пойнт, однако реализовать его не удалось. Дэвенпорт тут же взяла инициативу в свои руки и довела дело до победного конца.

Американке теперь предстоит сыграть с 19-летней хорваткой Каролиной Шпрем, которую с полным основанием можно назвать открытием нынешнего Уимблдона. Во втором круге, напомню, она взяла два тай-брейка у Винус Уильямc, в третьем сделала то же самое в поединке с другой американкой - Меган Шонесси, а вчера практически без вариантов одолела опытнейшую болгарку Магдалену Малееву. По мнению Дэвенпорт, на задней линии Шпрем действует даже более стабильно, чем Звонарева, так что очень любопытно, чем тут закончится дело.

Что же касается поединка 1/8 финала между Надеждой Петровой и Дженнифер Каприати, то они померятся силами сегодня.
Ответ

Опции темы