Форум о ставках на спорт  

Вернуться   Форум о ставках на спорт > BetsYouWin :: Обсуждения, прогнозы, мнения > Теннис

Результаты опроса: Знаете ли Вы английский язык?
Да 458 61.23%
Нет 290 38.77%
Голосовавшие: 748. Вы ещё не голосовали в этом опросе

Ответ

Опции темы
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:10
Anonymous

Re: Зарубежная пресса о теннисе

Perestroika sweeps through tennis
Scotsman

THE timing was ironic. Just as Ronald Reagan was laid to rest, and the world recalled the part played by the former US president in the thawing of the Cold War, the Wimbledon seeds were announced and old battle lines were drawn.

One look at the women’s competition and it doesn’t take a genius to realise that the relationship between the United States and Russia may be about to cool again, well, for the next fortnight at least.

With the enforced absence of the Belgians, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters, the top 10 is swamped with four Americans and four Russians.

And, although Amelie Mauresmo, of France, and Paola Suarez, of Argentina, make up the numbers, the Russian contingent converging on SW19 seem the primary players capable of derailing Uncle Sam’s bandwagon. Five years in succession the Rosewater Dish has been hoisted aloft by an all-American gal, and the country’s dominance is underlined further by the fact that all but two of the beaten finalists also pledge allegiance to the Stars and Stripes.

This year’s fifth seed Lindsay Davenport won in 1999, Venus Williams enjoyed back-to-back success in 2000 and 2001, while her sister Serena, pictured, goes into this year’s event bidding to make it three-in-a-row. Only defeated finalists Steffi Graf, of Germany, in 1999 and Henin-Hardenne in 2001 have threatened the stranglehold.

But the Russians hope to go one better this year. Until now the ever-increasing batch of talent emerging from eastern Europe had proved a distraction, but never a danger anywhere other than off-court, where sponsors and spectators have been bewitched by their beauty, if not always their play.

But, aided by the vision of past players and, undoubtedly, the fact that former president Boris Yeltsin is a huge fan, the sport has undergone its own restructuring in Russia. It’s tennis perestroika and it’s paying off.

The French Open final, last month, ensured that the wealth of talent from within the former Soviet bloc is being taken more seriously than ever. The first all-Russian women’s Grand Slam singles final was contested by Elena Dementieva and winner Anastasia Myskina. It proved that they now have the game and the gumption to not only challenge but also win major trophies. But it was merely the latest achievement on a learning curve whose gradient would be enough to terrify those afflicted with vertigo.

Last year, five Russians made it into the last 16, with one, Svetlana Kuznetsova, progressing to the quarter-finals. Having proved adaptable on grass and despite the brevity of the grasscourt season, they have returned to the surface this year looking just as dangerous.

In the warm-up tournament, the Hastings Direct International Championships, at Eastbourne, this week, Kuznetsova and Vera Zvonareva both eased into the final four to prove they mean business.

What a difference a year makes. It was Jelana Dokic, ousted from Wimbledon last year by teenager Maria Sharapova, who willingly acknowledged the growing depth of talent in the Russian camp. She was less generous when it came to the strength. Yes, there were more and more girls coming into the game, but they still weren’t winners, she said. As far as she was concerned, they still had to force their way up the rankings if they were to be considered a credible threat.

Well now they have and they are. No.3 in the current world rankings, Myskina is seeded second for this year’s Wimbledon soiree. Playing the best tennis of her career and full of confidence, the 22-year-old is hoping to maintain her year on year improvement in the event. Although she has a mediocre 8-4 record at Wimbledon, she had her best showing in 2003, reaching the fourth round and the fact she made consecutive finals at Birmingham and Eastbourne two years ago, shows that her game is adaptable to this surface.

Twelve months ago, though, having proved she had mastered the grass, it was an American who ultimately beat her.

She lost 6-2 6-3 to Jennifer Capriati, who this year is seeded seventh, while the Williams sisters easily claimed the scalps of two of her countryfolk. Dementieva lost to Serena 6-2 6-2 and Zvonareva also recorded just four game wins on her way to a 6-1 6-3 defeat to Venus.

But Myskina is typical of the Russians, who are pushing the boundaries and setting new records. While Serena Williams was recovering from a knee op she underwent last August, and Davenport, Capriati and Venus maintained their top 10 status in the world ranking without really pushing themselves up the table, the Russian has been on full-steam ahead. Both she and Dementieva have defeated at least two of the active American trio in major competition since March and in the space of six months she has raced up the rankings to third spot. She has been joined in the higher echelons by both Dementieva and Nadia Petrova, whose promotion to No.10, in April, signalled the first-time three Russians had been in the top 10 simultaneously.

So, while the Americans have the experience and remain the women to beat, the Russians are young, hungry and learning all the time. Which is why, this year, they are more of a risk to the US superiority, according to one of their own.

Florida-based tennis guru Nick Bollettieri, who coaches Sharapova and ensures his proteges abide by the creed of ‘discipline, responsibility and effort’, says it is only a matter of time before the youngster wins big and having coached the likes of Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Monica Seles, Boris Becker, and the Williams sisters, there is no doubting his ability to identify real talent.

"I always knew Maria had talent. She has terrific eye and hand co-ordination but what made her so different was her discipline," he recently said of the 17-year-old, who’s presence in the quarter-finals at Roland Garros, alongside Myskina and Dementieva, marked the first time in the open era that three Russian women had advanced to the last eight in a Grand Slam. "With Maria, everything is pure business. She’s meaner than a snake and she’ll make those strawberries turn green. It’s just a matter of time. She’s got everything she needs and with her mentality and background, she’s going to do fairly well in every tournament."

Not a bad endorsement for a player currently considered only sixth-best Russian. Seeded 13th for Wimbledon, she trails behind Myskina, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Petrova and Zvonareva.

Until Myskina, no Russian woman had won a grand slam singles title, but now that she has smashed the glass ceiling, the Russians who practise with her and know her game and limitations may have less difficulty ascending the ladder. "Once one has success, it's easier for all the others," said Olga Morozova, who became the first Russian woman to reach a grand slam final, the 1974 French Open, losing to Chris Evert.

Since her day Morozova has watched as the men’s game benefited from the generosity and vision of Andrei Chesnokov, who lobbied Soviet officials to keep his prize money and plough it back into the sport. Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Marat Safin have already won grand slam men’s singles titles and reached No.1 in the world, but now it is the ladies turn.

The Cold War may be over but the fact that presidents past and present, Boris Yeltsin and Vladimir Putin, are on hand to offer congratulations when victory arrives, signals that usurping the Americans, even if it is only in tennis, is something appreciated by the Russians.

Yes, a chill wind is likely to blow through SW19 and after last year’s disappointment at the hands of the Americans, the Russians are hoping that revenge really is a dish best served cold.

Ссылка: http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis.cfm?id=699572004
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:19
Anonymous

Karlovic still niggles at Hewitt
NineMSN

Lleyton Hewitt comes into Wimbledon with no fear, apart from a little niggle inside his head by the name of Ivo Karlovic.

Hewitt admits memories of last year's shock first round loss to the world No.203 will be hard to shake when he opens his Wimbledon offensive on Monday against Austrian No.42 Jurgen Melzer.

"It will probably always be in the back of my mind, especially when I go out there again to play my first round match," the seventh seed said.

But, those nerves and a potential quarter-final against top seed and defending champion Roger Federer aside, Hewitt has every right to go into the tournament as confident as he was when he won the title in 2002.

Back in the top 10 - at No.10 - after slipping from one to 17 following his implosion against Karlovic, Hewitt spearheads Australia's sparse four-man contingent in the men's singles.

Last year's finalist Mark Philippoussis goes into his opening match on Tuesday against Belgian qualifier Christophe Rochus in the worst slump of his life, losing in the first round of his last eight ATP tournaments.

Wayne Arthurs has lost four in a row and 2002 boys champion Todd Reid is in his first seniors draw courtesy of a wildcard.

Hewitt, however, is back on grass after his best clay court season in which he reached the Hamburg Masters semis and French Open quarters and with the confidence earned from big match results on the turf.

The 23-year-old didn't care about his rankings dive late last year while he ignored the tour to concentrate on Australia's Davis Cup semi-final and final.

What he did during that period cost him ranking points but will steel him for any contest he will encounter at the All England Club over the next fortnight.

"I think one of the greatest achievements I've had in my career was winning those Davis Cup matches against Federer and Ferrero both in five sets," he said.

Coming from behind in both highly pressurised matches in Melbourne, against Switzerland and Federer in the semi and Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final, was vintage Hewitt.

"That gave me a lot of confidence at the start of this year," he said.

"I feel pretty confident in myself. I feel like I'm hitting the ball well, I've been getting better and better each day.

"I like playing on grass, I enjoy playing big matches on grass as I had to in the Davis Cup final against Ferrero.

"I feel in the main I've played pretty well this year."

Hewitt rates Federer and second seed Andy Roddick the Wimbledon favourites, while many pundits, including three-time champion Boris Becker, reckon Hewitt and Britain's perennial hope Tim Henman are the only other serious contenders.

Hewitt knows how to beat them all, and is building toward the form to do it.

He has a 7-4 career record over Federer, but has lost both matches to the Swiss this year, had a 3-0 edge over Roddick until Queen's and has a 7-0 spell over Henman.

Federer and Roddick are in commanding form, winning their Wimbledon build-up tournaments at Halle and Queen's respectively, while Henman's momentum from his run to the French Open semis slowed abruptly with a first round exit at Queen's.

But Hewitt knows if he can reinforce his serve and, after last year's lesson, remain wary of the unexpected, he can win another Wimbledon crown.

"There's only a couple of areas I feel like I can tweak," he said.

"I've got get a higher percentage of first serves but I felt I did it a lot better at my quarters and semi at Queen's.

"I'm hitting the ball a little better that I was this time last year.

"So in a lot of ways, I'm probably feeling a little better than I was last year with my whole game coming together. But then again, anything can happen and I know that as well as anyone."

World No.90 Arthurs plays up and coming German Florian Mayer on Monday while Reid meets 30th seed Vince Spadea on Tuesday.
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:22
Anonymous

Myskina starts Wimbledon with tips from 'Grandpa' Boris Yeltsin
Reuters
By Ossian Shine

LONDON, June 20 (Reuters) - Anastasia Myskina, the newest member of the grand slam winners' club, will launch her assault on the Wimbledon title with the words of Boris Yeltsin ringing in her ears.

The former Russian president was quick to congratulate Myskina on winning the French Open this month and had a few tips for the Muscovite ahead of next week's grasscourt grand slam.

"Oh, he's like a Grandpa to me," the 22-year-old smiled on Sunday. "He always has tips for me on how to play...it's really nice.

"I had lunch with him at his house last week and he had some tips for me. He is always like 'you should play down the line more'.

"He's coming here for the first week to watch."

Myskina is seeded second for Wimbledon and senses that since her Paris triumph other players are treating her with more respect.

"It is starting to sink in," she said. "I mean the morning after I was jumping in my bed and screaming 'I am a grand slam champion'.

FEEL DIFFERENT

"And now I think some of the other players are maybe a little more scared of me. I feel different. I feel more confident."

Myskina became the first Russian woman to win a grand slam event when she triumphed at Roland Garros but knows she must put that behind her if she is to succeed at Wimbledon.

"That's in the past," she smiles when reminded of her French glory. "This is a new tournament, and it is going to be a tough one.

"Before Paris I always thought I felt more comfortable on grass than on clay but now I guess I don't know.

"But really I feel comfortable on all surfaces everywhere. You know, if you play right, you can do anything."

That philosophy applies equally to her compatriots. A Russian woman has now won titles in the last three weeks, Maria Sharapova winning Edgbaston the week after Paris and Svetlana Kuznetsova winning at Eastbourne on Saturday.

"It is awesome...really great," Myskina said. "I mean I would love it if there were four of us in the semi-finals.

"For a while everybody has been saying 'the Russians are coming'.

"Well now we are here."
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:25
Anonymous

FEDERER: NO FEAR OF FIRST ROUND EXIT
SkySports
Monday 21st June 2004

Wimbledon champion Roger Federer is confident he will not follow in the footsteps of Lleyton Hewitt and suffer a shock first round exit at this year's championships.

Hewitt was the reigning champion when he crashed to an embarrassing opening day defeat to Ivo Karlovic a year ago, but Federer is sure lightning will not strike twice.

The Swiss player opens the defence of his title against Britain's Alex Bogdanovic, who is ranked a lowly 307 in the world, knowing that defeat would make him only the third men's champion to exit in the first round.

"There is always a little bit of doubt over how well he will play," said Federer, the top seed.

"I will find that out in the first set whether I am up or down. I have asked other players about him and I expect a tough match. But I am at such a level that I can concentrate solely on my own game and that should be good enough if I stay calm.

"I am conscious of what happend to Lleyton last year. I remember he won the first set but then he couldn't control his serve. Of course, I will be trying 100 percent so I hope the same thing will not happen to me."

Federer is in the dark over Bogdanovic's style as the 20-year-old plays on the Challenger tour and has yet to feature on the main tour this season.

"He plays left-handed, so that changes things a little," said Federer.

"Every first round is important. The last time I lost in the first round was at the French Open last year, so I hope to keep it up."
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:29
Anonymous

Fine form buoys Federer
BBC

Defending champion Roger Federer is full of confidence as he prepares to defend his title at Wimbledon.
The world number one will open the proceedings on Centre Court on Monday against Britain's Alex Bogdanovic.

And Federer told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme: "I feel I am playing better now than 12 months ago."

The Swiss star retained his title in Halle last week and added: "Every match had something really good about it which gave me a lot of confidence."

Speaking about his hopes of retaining his title in SW19, he said: "As the number one in the world and the defending champion I am definitely one of the favourites.

"But there are a lot of other players like Andy Roddick, Tim Henman and Lleyton Hewitt. These are the main rivals and then Goran Ivanisevic.....you never know."

And he also admits that he had had to do some research before facing wildcard Bogdanovic.

"It's going to be interesting to see what happens because I don't really know him." Federer said.

Ivanisevic, who won the title in 2001 but has not returned since because of injury, is second on Centre Court against Mikhael Youzkny.

"I'm not nervous because I've nothing to lose - I'm just going to have fun," said the Croat.

"For two years I couldn't serve and I was very close to stopping but I then I said I have to come here - I owe it to myself, to the people here. I'm struggling but I'm taking my medicine and hopefully I'm going to survive."
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:42
Anonymous

Здесь можно скачать маски Мыскиной, Федерера, Хенмана и др. теннисистов в формате pdf:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/h...00/3819473.stm
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:46
Anonymous

Myskina swears to keep temper
Herald Sun
By Leo Schlink in London
June 21, 2004

ELATED at becoming the first Russian woman in history to claim a grand slam singles title, Anastasia Myskina has vowed to harness her notoriously volatile temper in quest of landing the Wimbledon crown.

Seeded second behind defending champion Serena Williams, Myskina has used the past two weeks to reconcile the hollowest of Roland Garros victories over compatriot Elena Dementieva.

"It was a surprise for me," she reflected in preparation for her match today against Slovakian Lubomira Kurhajcova. "I thought maybe in my sleep, I would win a grand slam - in my dreams.

"But not in real life. When it happened, I was in shock."

But while admired by her coach - and former boyfriend - Jens Gerlach as a character prepared to "kick ass", Myskina concedes her temperament has led to unnecessary pain.

"I am very different on court to how I am in life, I'm not quiet on the court," she said.

"But at the French Open, I understand that it doesn't help if you yell at somebody. If you hold your emotions inside you, it helps you win. If your opponent sees you yelling or throwing a racquet, it shows weakness.

"Sometimes my coach says 'If you do that again, I'm going to quit.' But I don't like to lose. I don't like to be a loser.

"But sometimes I feel really guilty and sometimes I apologise. Maybe I am getting older and understanding life better."

Gerlach now laughs about being abused during Myskina's tense match against American Chanda Rubin at the Australian Open, but it was serious enough at the time for the German to consider his future.

Gerlach said: "I tell her all the time, 'Listen, just say it in Russian.'

"I tell her not to get mad with us. But I do understand she has to release it, the emotion, somehow. We have been working on it. At the French Open she was much, much better. She kept her focus. It is a work in process."

Now revered as the first man to coach a Russian woman to victory at the highest level, Gerlach revealed he was condemned by several of his peers at Melbourne Park.

"They said, 'Don't you have any control over her?," he said. "But I said, 'You do your job with your girls and I will do my job with mine.' I don't judge anybody myself."

Myskina is one of a phenomenal 14 Russians in the singles draw. Half of the so-called Red Brigade is seeded.

The slender right-hander hopes to improve on her best showing of reaching the fourth round at Wimbledon.
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:52
Anonymous

Safin The Russian Enigma
Wimbledon.org

In a sport like tennis, where the tendency is to look after yourself and talk in similar fashion, there was until recently a rare degree of unanimity about one thing: that on his day Marat Safin was the world's best player.

The recent ascent of Roger Federer has qualified opinions about Safin being top dog, but the 24-year-old Russian remains one of the most attractive, volatile, unpredictable and entertaining figures in a profession where the work ethic tends to dominate waking - and sleeping - hours.

Having vaulted to fame by destroying Pete Sampras in the US Open final of 2000, Safin became world number one later that year. Last season, plagued by injury, he ended up 77th in the rankings, a dispiriting plunge, and this year is proving to be one of restoring ranking and reputation, in the company of another new coach, Peter Lundgren.

Lundgren and Federer parted company last December but the Swede was not unemployed for long. Safin took him on board and now the tall player and the tubby coach are embarked, like Don Quixote and Sancho Panza, on a crusade to get Marat back to where he, and most of tennis, think he belongs.
The Moscow-born Safin owes his name of Marat to his grandmother, who thought that having someone in the family named after the 18th century French revolutionary Jean-Paul Marat was preferable to having another Sergei or Andrei around.

Safin, too, has proved something of a revolutionary. He took up the game at six because his father, Misha, was director of a small tennis club in Moscow and his mother Rausa, a former Russian junior prospect, became his coach. His younger sister, Dinara, is also doing well on the WTA circuit.

The parents managed to procure sponsorship which enabled Marat, at 14, to base himself in Valencia, learning Spanish and the arts of clay court tennis. Though Safin still spends time in Valencia, he is based nowadays in Monte Carlo, a sure indication that his bank balance has prospered.

From the moment he made his Grand Slam debut as a qualifier at the 1998 French Open, defeating Andre Agassi and defending champion Gustavo Kuerten and reaching the fourth round, Safin has been talking as hard as he plays. And, since he thinks tennis should be enjoyed, most of the talk has been lively, entertaining stuff.

From his early days he gained a reputation as a destroyer of tennis rackets which were not able to do what he expected of them. One year he smashed 48.

And as Safin's ranking soared, so did his tendency to speak out against an over-demanding playing schedule and authoritanism.But the fans loved him, never more so than in New York in September of Millennium Year when he crushed Sampras, a four-time champion, in the final of the US Open, conceding just 10 games to the great man.

That was the biggest of the seven titles Safin won in 2000 and remains to date his only Grand Slam success. He has twice been runner-up at the Australian Open, in 2002 and again in January this year when he was defeated by Federer, and has got as far as semi-finals at Roland Garros and the French Open.

Wimbledon remains the one tournament in the Big Four where he feels he has not yet shown his best form. In the four times he has competed, his best achievement was a quarter-final in 2001. Last year, because of a wrist injury which effectively ended his season from April onwards, he missed three of the four Grand Slams, Wimbledon included.

Now, he feels, there is an inviting new page on which to inscribe a fresh deed or two. For instance, it is surely time that he ended a title drought stretching back to the Masters Series indoor tournament in Paris in November 2002.

Until blistered hands ended his hopes in the fourth round of the French Open last month, Safin was on the road to rediscovering his best form. And, of course, having fun along the way, as he showed by dropping his shorts after one spectacular rally. So he remains very much Marat the Revolutionary.
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:56
Anonymous

Six British hopefuls
Independent
21 June 2004

ELENA BALTACHA

Gutsy, big-serving 20-year-old whose commitment to the game has not faltered during an ongoing recovery from a debilitating liver complaint which robbed her of the British No1 spot. Inspired Britain to Fed Cup promotion in April. Faces Spain's Marta Marrero, world No 62, ranked 280 places higher.

AMANDA JANES

The 26-year-old left-hander, the daughter of the former French Open champion and Wimbledon runner-up, Christine Truman, has flourished since returning to tennis full-time last year after gaining her degree in English from Cambridge University. Faces a tough first-round test against Japan's Ai Sugiyama, the world No13.

JANE O'DONOGHUE

The Wigan-based 21-year-old had the misfortune to be drawn against Venus Williams on her senior Wimbledon singles debut two years ago. Reached a career-high world ranking of No 220 earlier this year and America's Lindsay Lee-Waters, ranked No 90 in the world, is a more feasible conquest this time.

JAMIE DELGADO

The 27-year-old former teenage prodigy and schoolmate of Tim Henman is the only British man apart from Henman to earn his place in the main draw directly through results on the court (as opposed to through a wild card), having won a qualification tournament. Starts against Italy's world No 51, Filippo Volandri.

JONNY MARRAY

The 23-year-old has climbed the world rankings to No 250 with good recent form. Reached the third round at Queen's (where he lost to Lleyton Hewitt) and the second round at the Nottingham Open. Begins here against Karol Beck, who knocked Tim Henman out at Queen's.

ARVIND PARMAR

Has made year-on-year improvements to rise in the end-of-season world rankings for the past three years. The 26-year-old has experience of progress in SW19, twice reaching the second round, in 1999 and 2001. Faces Belgium's Gilles Elseneer, (who as world No 99 is not unbeatable) in the first round.
Старый 21st June 2004, 18:59
Anonymous

Capriati finds new coach; Goran's finale; Dokic rethink on Australia
Associated Press
Wimbledon, June 20

Jennifer Capriati is working with former US Davis Cup captain Tom Gullickson at Wimbledon after ending a brief stint with Heinz Gunthardt after the French Open.

Gullickson supervised Capriati's hitting session against French Open champion Anastasia Myskina on Sunday and later confirmed he'd be working with the 28-year-old American at Wimbledon.

"She knew I was going to be here, she asked me to help her out and I said 'sure, why not?"' said Gullickson, who briefly coached former men's No. 1 Pete Sampras. His brother, Tim Gullickson, was Sampras' longtime coach.

Gunthardt helped Capriati reach the semifinals earlier this month at Roland Garros, where she lost to Myskina. Capriati, a former French and Australian Open champion, didn't give a reason for the split.

Gullickson said he and Capriati hadn't spoken about the coaching arrangement extending beyond Wimbledon.

GORAN BACK TO WIMBLEDON: Goran Ivanisevic finetuned for his tour finale with a hitting session against defending Wimbledon champion Roger Federer before rain forced them from the practice courts on Sunday.

Injuries have forced Ivanisevic out of Wimbledon since he won the title - as a wild card entry - in 2001.

He's 2-9 in 2004, but says he's confident because he's still on a seven-match winning stretch at Wimbledon.

Federer is also on a winning run at Wimbledon. "He's a genius, an absolute genius," Ivanisevic said of Federer. "But I had him scared for a while _ I think I was leading 4-1 before the rain."

Ivanisevic's other tip for the tournament is Britain's Tim Henman, seeded fifth.

"For me the favorite is Tim and this is the first time I can say that. He is ready this year and I wish him all the best," he was quoted as saying.

Ivanisevic is less likely to be supporting any other Englishmen come Monday.

England plays Croatia on Monday night in the European soccer championships in Portugal, with both teams vying for a quarterfinal berth.

Showing his loyalty, Ivanisevic posed with the flag of his native Croatia for a swarm photographers as he walked to practice. He opens Monday against Mikhail Youzhny of Russia, seeded 31st, on Centre Court.

IN THE MIX: Anastasia Myskina is dining out on her French Open title.

Myskina beat Elena Dementieva in an all-Russian women's final at Roland Garros. Since then the pair met with President Vladimir Putin and had lunch with former president Boris Yeltsin. "For us, Boris Yeltsin is like a grandpa. He watched all the matches, and he knows everything about tennis," Myskina said Sunday. "He kept telling us how to play. He told us, 'Hit more down the line' or 'Improve your serve."'

Yeltsin told them he plans to come to Wimbledon for the first week to watch.

"He said, 'So you girls better win'," Myskina told reporters. Russian women have won two grasscourt titles in the last two weeks, with Maria Sharapova taking the DFS Classic title in Birmingham and Svetlana Kuznetsova successful at Eastbourne. "That shows that the (Russian) girls really want to win and they know how to win now," she said. "We have great competition between each other and we push each other."

CALLING AUSTRALIA HOME?: Jelena Dokic is contemplating returning to represent Australia three years after her family fled the country complaining of discrimination.

The Dokic family has settled in Serbia and Montenegro, although Jelena has distanced herself from her father and former coach Damir. Damir, who has been kicked out of Wimbledon and the US Open after volatile outbursts, last year said he never wanted to speak to his daughter again.

More recently, he told an English newspaper he wanted Jelena tested for drugs, criticized her new coach and boyfriend and vowed to come to Wimbledon to resolve his differences with his daughter.

Jelena Dokic declined to comment to The Associated Press on speculation that she'd asked for extra security at the All England Club to protect her from her father. Tournament organizers also wouldn't comment.

Dokic, a former Wimbledon semifinalist, said she's thinking of returning to Australia because "it's something I feel I should do."

"I spent a lot of my years there, I played for Australia and maybe I should go back," Dokic said.

She's missed the last three Australian Opens after her father accused organizers of rigging the draw against her in 2001. She entered for Melbourne Park in January, but withdrew citing a lack of fitness.

"I'm trying to make up my mind and I would really like to go back."
Старый 21st June 2004, 19:08
Anonymous

The Wonders of Wimbledon
Australianopen.com
by Mark Macgugan

Two Grand Slams down in 2004, two still remaining. And as the world’s best tennis players cross from the dusty red clay of Roland Garros to the lush Wimbledon lawns for the beginning of The Championships on Monday, several things are certain.

One is that ‘Henmania’ will sweep Britain. Having reached four semi finals in the past six years and lost every one of them, Tim Henman’s legion of British fans will be hoping that this is the year he can finally break through at his home Grand Slam. A super season thus far has seen the plucky Brit rocket to World No.6 – up from No.14 at year’s beginning – and a semi final performance at Roland Garros has his confidence high.

A second fact is that Roger Federer won’t bow out so early at two Grand Slams in succession. The World No.1 and defending Wimbledon champ had a rare glitch when shot down in straight sets in the French Open third round by Gustavo Kuerten. But a faultless tournament win in Halle last week has the Swiss racquet-master back on track and looking perhaps even more formidable than this time last year.

There are several other sure bets. Young Russian dynamo Maria Sharapova will scream in seeming agony every time she hits the ball. Patrons will consume strawberries and cream. And Rod Laver Arena’s retractable roof will crack a mention from commentators every time there is a rain delay. But there are also several big questions surrounding this year’s Championships:

Are the Williams sisters back in business? Quarter-final losses to both Venus and Serena at Roland Garros would suggest the injury-plagued duo have not yet reached peak form. Nonetheless, the absence of Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters means the powerful American duo must still be considered close to tournament favorites on the fast Wimbledon grass.

Which country will dominate? Argentine for the men and Russian for the women were the flavors of the month at Roland Garros, so which race will be dished up for us in vast quantities at Wimbledon? French Open finalists Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva are both enjoying career-high rankings (No.3 and No.6 respectively) and can be confident of another good fortnight. Backed by names such as Kuznetsova, Petrova, Zvonereva and Sharapova, the Russian pack once again looks menacing. So too do the Americans. The Yanks have a great chance in the men’s draw with World No.2 Andy Roddick, who won his second straight Queen’s title last week. In the women’s, the presence of the Williams sisters, plus perennial high achievers Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport, all but guarantees the stars and stripes will still be flying late into the second week.

And what of the Aussies? Speaking of certain countries dominating, what about this stat? The past four Wimbledon men’s finals have all featured an Australian (2003 - Mark Philippoussis, 2002 – Lleyton Hewitt, 2001, 2000 – Pat Rafter). This year, the task of continuing that impressive run sits with Hewitt, Philippoussis, and talented youngster Todd Reid, the only non-British player to be awarded a wildcard. Of the three, Hewitt seems Australia’s best hope. He’s fit, in form and, according to Roddick, one of the players to watch. In the ladies’, World No.29 Alicia Molik, Australia’s most determined athlete Nicole Pratt, and young gun Sam Stosur will carry the Aussie flag.

So don your crispest white clothing, stock the fridge with strawberries and cream and get ready for two weeks of sizzling tennis action at the world’s oldest tennis tournament. It should be a cracker.
Старый 21st June 2004, 19:12
Anonymous

Здесь можно посмотреть лог матча Навратилова - Кастано:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3825741.stm

Здесь лежит лог матча Федерер - Богданович:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3826029.stm

Лог матча Южный - Иванишевич:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3826499.stm

Здесь лежат фотографии:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tenn...es/3825447.stm
Старый 23rd June 2004, 00:29
Kasper Kasper вне форума
Чумовой динозаврЪ

Safin's Wimbledon Nightmare Continues
By Ronald Green
06/22/2004

Blisters bursting from both hands hampered Marat Safin's efforts to hold onto the handle of his racquet in his fourth-round loss at Roland Garros last month. A different type of rupture revisited Safin today. Succumbing to concentration cracks, Safin allowed his opening-round Wimbledon match with 70th-ranked Dmitry Tursunov slip from his grip.

Serving for a two-set lead at 5-4 in the second set, Safin failed to close out the set and soon found his Wimbledon dreams buried on the Graveyard of Champions as Tursunov stopped Safin, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 7-6(1) to advance to the second round.

Sleepwalking through several points at the end of the match, a frustrated Safin said his sole solution to his grass-court "nightmare" was to "give up"

"I give up on Wimbledon," Safin said. "(It) is definitely not the tournament for me. I give up on spending time on these courts, I hate. I hate this. I have to admit it. It's like a nightmare for me. So after a while, I just get bored. I lost completely motivation, and I just give up."

In the aftermath of his disappointing defeat, Safin spoke like a man who enjoys playing on grass as much about as much as playing Twister on a patch of poison ivy.

"I don't like to play on this surface," said Safin. "It's like a nightmare for me. After a while I just get bored. I lost motivation and I give up."

It was the first career grass-court victory for the 21-year-old Tursunov, whose previous grass-court experience consisted of an opening-round loss to Marc Lopez at Queen's Club two weeks ago.

The Moscow-born Tursunov, who moved to the Bay area of California when he was 12 and a half and is currently applying for U.S. citizenship, snapped his streak of consecutive opening-round losses at the Australian Open and Roland Garros with his third career Grand Slam victory.

It was the third opening-round Grand Slam setback of Safin's career and the first time he exited in the first round since he suffered an opening-round exit in the 2000 Australian Open. Grass has always been least conducive to Safin's game — he reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 2001, but has exited in the first or second round in his four other appearances at the All England club — but based on his Australian Open runner-up result in January and the mental toughness he showed in reaching the fourth-round of the French Open, he had higher hopes for this Wimbledon fortnight.

The 19th-seeded Safin seemingly had control of the match when he had the first set in hand and held a 5-3 lead in the second. Safin had the momentum, but Tursunov took it right back. Breaking Safin's serve in succession, Tursunov won four consecutive games to snatch the second set to level the match.

Sensing Safin's bubble of concentration had burst, former Russian president Boris Yeltsin left his court-side seat at that point.

From that point on Tursunov played with more energy, enthusiasm and effort as surrendering the second set seemed to sap some of the resolve from Safin. Tursunov won 20 of his 22 first-serve points in the third set and registered the lone break to take the set, 6-3.

The Tursunov serve was a key stroke to his victory: he hit 18 aces compared to eight for Safin and won 65 of his 85 first-serve points (76 percent), while Safin claimed 55 of 81 first-serve points (68 percent).

Safin staked a 4-1 lead in the fourth set, but Tursunov broke back and the pair played into the tiebreak. Safin's extensive edge in tiebreak experience — the 2000 U.S. Open champion entered the tiebreak with a 130-104 tiebreak record in his career, while Tursunov was 5-5 — hardly helped today as Safin rushed through points as if suffering an allergic reaction to grass. Safin netted a forehand return and Tursunov followed with a forehand return winner to take a 3-1 lead.

A half-hearted run to the net concluded with Safin blocking a backhand half volley wide and Tursunov followed by blasting his 18th ace down the middle for a 5-1 lead. Safin blocked a backhand return into the net to face match point and Tursunov quickly closed with a forehand pass down the line to conclude perhaps the biggest win of his career.

For Safin, the loss marked the latest episode in his enigmatic career. Just four years ago, Safin was widely regarded as the best player on the planet after capturing seven tournament titles in 200, including thoroughly thrashing Pete Sampras in the U.S. Open final to hand the 14-time Grand Slam champion first straight-set Slam final loss. Safin's commanding victory was so comprehensive, it appeared he had the potential to rule the sport as long as you wanted. Injury and indifference have limited Safin to four championships since, but he returned to his former form with an inspired run to the Australian Open final in January.

Throughout his career, Safin has often played his best when expectations are least. At the age of 24 its time for the talented and temperamental Russian to fulfill his potential.

Источник: TennisWeek
Старый 23rd June 2004, 00:34
Kasper Kasper вне форума
Чумовой динозаврЪ

Serena Launches Title Defense With Wimbledon Win
By Adrianna Outlaw
06/22/2004

Jie Zheng pushed Serena Williams to the breaking point 10 times, but the top-seeded Williams' serve and nerve was simply unbreakable on the most meaningful points as she launched defense of her Wimbledon title with today's 6-3, 6-1 victory.

Bidding to become the first woman to win three consecutive Wimbledon crowns since Steffi Graf reigned at the All England Club from 1991-93, Williams vigilantly protected serve as if it were as precious as the gold tennis racquet dangling from her necklace. Williams did not drop serve in the match in wrapping up her first-round win in 66-minutes.

Though the 52nd-ranked Zheng pressed Williams in several close games, the defending champion was on the offensive for much of the match. Williams struck six aces and persistently pounded the shallow serves emanating from the racquet of the 5-foot-4 1/2, 126-pound Chinese, who was out muscled, but not outhustled in the first meeting between the pair.

"The most special thing is coming back as champ," Williams said. "Win, lose or draw it's a great feeling to be defending champion at Wimbledon. I don't get that feeling at any other Grand Slam."

As father Richard Williams and older sister Venus, who was runner-up to Serena in the last two Wimbledon finals, the six-time Grand Slam champion played her first grass-court match since scoring a 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory over Venus in the 2003 final.

Williams whipped 29 winners to offset 24 errors and though she missed the mark with several groundstrokes and was not particularly sharp, she showed a willingness to move forward into the court as she did in her return to tennis at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami. Grass rewards agile, athletic players and Williams, whose father Richard has studied tapes of men's champion Roger Federer in recent months, appeared eager to impose her attacking game on her opponent, winning 20 of her 26 net approaches.

Holding a 4-3 first-set lead, Williams reeled off seven straight games to take the first set and gain a 5-0 lead in the second before finally donating a game to Zheng with unforced errors.

"I wanted to try out some things and the first round is the time to do them," Williams said. "I am playing good. You never hear me say I am playing good so that is pretty bold and confident for me to say that. Honestly, I think (that was) one of the few times I think I did pretty decent."

One of the defending champions few defensive moments on the day came in the post-match press conference. Asked to explain her unforced error total, Williams, whose aggressive style of play typically results in high totals of both winners and unforced errors, invited reporters to practice.

"Well, I'm going to come in here, you guys are going to coach me now? You guys are going to be coaches now? You're going to talk about unforced errors?" Williams responded. "Feel free to come out on the practice court if you guys want to help out."

It appears unlikely Williams will need reporters to supplement her coaching staff prior to her second-round match with France's Stephanie Foretz.

Источник: TennisWeek
Старый 23rd June 2004, 20:22
Kasper Kasper вне форума
Чумовой динозаврЪ

Русская пресса о теннисе

КУЗНЕЦОВА ПРИЕХАЛА В ЛОНДОН ОДНИМ ИЗ ФАВОРИТОВ
21.06.04 "СЭ"

Hastings Direct International Championships, который с 1974 года проходит в английском Истборне, - старейший европейский турнир Женской теннисной ассоциации и второй по престижности на траве после Уимблдона. В разные годы его выигрывали многие мировые знаменитости (чаще всего - 11 раз - великая Мартина Навратилова), а последние два года лучшей здесь становилась темнокожая американка Чанда Рубин.

В этом году список "сеяных" в Истборне первоначально должна была возглавить новоиспеченная чемпионка Roland Garros Анастасия Мыскина, однако из-за усталости она снялась с турнира. Замена россиянке нашлась в лице Амели Моресмо. Первоначально планировалось, что француженка выступит в Хертогенбосе, однако в последний момент функционеры WTA Tour попросили ее сыграть в состязании более высокой, 2-й категории.

Моресмо, наравне с Мыскиной претендующая на титул второй, а может, и первой ракетки мира, изо всех сил стремилась показать максимальный результат. Однако в полуфинале на ее пути встала словачка Даниэла Гантухова, которая около полутора лет терпела одну неудачу за другой и в итоге из первой пятерки откатилась на 54-е место в мировой классификации. Обыграв трех достаточно сильных соперниц, в том числе японку Айи Сугияму, высокая (181 см) 21-летняя теннисистка получила запас уверенности, позволивший ей после 2 часов 7 минут напряженной борьбы одолеть Моресмо - 4:6, 6:4, 6:4. Это была девятая победа словачки над соперницей из первой десятки и первая с тех пор, как на US Open-2002 она одолела бельгийку Жюстин Энен-Арденн.

Тем временем еще более интересные события разворачивались в нижней половине сетки. "Посеянная" под 2-м номером Светлана Кузнецова, которая дебютировала в Истборне, неожиданно столкнулась с серьезными проблемами в четвертьфинальной встрече со словенкой Тиной Писник. В полуфинале же петербурженка встретилась с другой россиянкой - Верой Звонаревой. Учитывая то, что Кузнецова обычно чаще выходит к сетке и в прошлом году была в четвертьфинале Уимблдона, ее шансы на траве изначально котировались выше, тем не менее Звонарева имела реальную возможность победить. Шутка сказать, она вела - 6:3, 5:3, но тут Вера немного дала слабину, в то время как Светлана, наоборот, показала максимум того, на что она способна. Этот момент оказался переломным. На тай-брейке преимущество Кузнецовой стало ощутимым - 7:6 (7:2), а в третьей партии - подавляющим - 6:1.

Кто мог тогда предполагать, что финальный поединок пройдет по точно такому же непредсказуемому сценарию?!

Взяв первый сет - 6:2, теперь уже Гантухова при счете 6:5 во второй партии имела все шансы завершить матч на своей подаче. Но Кузнецова выстояла. А затем, через 2 часа 8 минут после начала игры, сумела взять и третий сет - 6:4. Любопытно, что на своей первой подаче Светлана выиграла 72 процента очков, а на второй - 92! Завоевав свой третий после Хельсинки-2002 и Бали-2002 титул WTA Tour, россиянка пополнила свой банковский счет на 93 000 долларов (еще 8800 долларов она получила как финалистка в парном разряде) и без учета бонусов заработала 195 рейтинговых очков.

Через несколько часов после окончания финала Кузнецовой дозвонился корреспондент "СЭ".

- Перед началом турнира в Истборне вы рассчитывали на победу?

- Нет. Просто, как и на любом другом турнире, хотела сыграть как можно лучше.

- Какой матч получился более трудным - полуфинальный или финальный?

- Непростой вопрос. Сегодня, безусловно, мне пришлось нелегко, но и накануне во встрече с Верой Звонаревой было не легче. К тому же на наш поединок накладывало отпечаток то обстоятельство, что мы хорошо знакомы. Что же касается Гантуховой, то в течение этой недели ей удалось серьезно улучшить свою игру. После победы над Моресмо она почувствовала себя гораздо увереннее, и я предполагала, что в финале будет очень трудно.

- Вы впервые выиграли столь крупный турнир. Можно ли утверждать, что показали свой лучший теннис за карьеру?

- Трудно сказать. Но то, что я очень довольна, - это точно.

- Теперь, видимо, будете стремиться улучшить свой прошлогодний результат на Уимблдоне?

- Посмотрим. Я заранее никогда ничего не загадываю. Сейчас для меня главное - выиграть матч первого круга. Если получится, то будем смотреть дальше.

На аналогичный вопрос, заданный ей на пресс-конференции, Кузнецова ответила так:

- Сейчас я играю хорошо, в принципе могу победить любую соперницу. Однако я, конечно же, не обещаю, что обязательно выиграю Уимблдон.

Что ж, на месте Светланы было бы легкомысленно, да и просто нескромно озвучивать то, о чем сообщали вчера все информационные агентства. А именно - что в отсутствие Жюстин Энен-Арденн и Ким Клийстерс 18-летняя россиянка, которая, кстати, доходила в этом году до финалов в Дубае, Дохе (оба - хард) и Варшаве (грунт), теперь с полным правом будет считаться одним из главных фаворитов Уимблдона. Ведь еще вопрос, в какой форме находятся сейчас сестры Уильямс, Дэвенпорт, Каприати, Мыскина и Дементьева. Моресмо, как и в прошлые годы, видимо, испытывает определенный дискомфорт в игре на траве. А результат Кузнецовой говорит сам за себя.
Старый 23rd June 2004, 20:23
Kasper Kasper вне форума
Чумовой динозаврЪ

Коварная трава, кошмарные дожди
22.06.04 "Совесткий Спорт" Мнение специалиста - Шамиль Тарпищев

Уимблдон только начался, а уже показал во всей красе практически все свои «прелести». И главная из них – пресловутая британская погода. А проще – дождь. Из-за ливней уже в понедельник программа состязаний прерывалась трижды. Завершить все запланированные матчи так и не удалось.

Из года в год на Уимблдоне приходится бороться не только с соперниками, но и с погодой. Кажется: ну что такое перерыв в матче? Отдохнул – и пошел махать ракеткой дальше. Но на самом деле дождь для теннисиста – настоящий кошмар. Особенно в Англии. Во-первых, игрок теряет темп и ритм, найденные в процессе игры. Это тяжело и в эмоциональном плане: пропадает настрой.

Ожидание всегда дается тяжело. Задержится начало матча, пройдет эмоциональный пик – и все, перегорел спортсмен. В такой ситуации легче тем, чьи матчи переносятся на следующий день, не начавшись. Хуже игры с непредсказуемыми перерывами ничего не придумаешь.

К тому же «дождевые» паузы на Уимблдоне велики, как нигде. Мало дождаться окончания ливня, нужно еще дать высохнуть корту. На мокрой и скользкой траве играть опасно. Вот, например, Мише Южному и Горану Иванишевичу пришлось разминаться три раза. Другое дело, что хорват за долгие годы привык уже к капризам местной погоды.

Как привык он, наверное, и к особенностям травяного покрытия. «Сезон травы» короток – всего месяц. И уникален. Прежде всего из-за свойств корта. От травы мяч отскакивает намного ниже, чем от грунта и тем более харда. Укороченные мячи вообще после отскока могут покатиться по корту. Большинство мячей приходится «цеплять» снизу. Поэтому пропадает преимущество игроков с мощными боковыми ударами.

Потому-то на травяных кортах на первый план выходят скорость и умение играть с лета. Побеждает, как правило, не тот игрок, который любит «сидеть» на задней линии, а тот, который действует в стиле «подача – выход к сетке». За последние 30–40 лет всего один теннисист побеждал на Уимблдоне, играя на задней линии, практически пренебрегая выходами к сетке, – швед Бьорн Борг. Он, правда, выигрывал пять лет подряд. Но то – великий Борг. Да и, к слову, для своего времени швед был очень и очень быстр.

Но самое коварное свойство травяного покрытия обнаружится примерно через неделю. Интенсивность и количество матчей так велики, что к началу второй недели большая часть травы окажется вытоптанной. Это радикальным образом изменит все свойства корта. В том числе и отскок мяча. Более того, в разных областях корта эти свойства будут разными – в зависимости от количества травы.

Спортсменам придется привыкать фактически к новому покрытию. Победит самый гибкий.
Старый 23rd June 2004, 20:24
Kasper Kasper вне форума
Чумовой динозаврЪ

АНГЛИЧАНАМ ПОНРАВИЛОСЬ НОВОЕ ПЛАТЬЕ МЫСКИНОЙ
23.02.06 "СЭ"

Вчерашний разговор мы начали с одного из матчей, сыгранных в понедельник на Центральном корте, в котором герой финала Кубка Дэвиса-2002 Михаил Южный в трех сетах уступил завершающему свою карьеру чемпиону Уимблдона-2001 хорвату Горану Иванишевичу.

- Южный известен как универсальный игрок, однако Иванишевич, действовавший более мощно и чаще выходивший к сетке, имел преимущество, - сказал Янчук. - Трава идеально подходит для игры хорвата. Своими длинными руками он придает мячу такое ускорение, что тот выстреливает, как из пращи. Два-три таких маха - и все в порядке.

К тому же, возможно, на игре Южного отразилось то, что матч проходил на Центральном корте. В первом сете Миша только входил в игру, в то время как Иванишевич делал свое черное дело - легко брал свои подачи и успешно действовал на приеме. Второй сет в целом получился равным, хотя Южный играл на пределе. В третьей партии преимущество хорвата снова стало заметным.

Почему в игре Михаила было маловато остроты? Мне сказать трудно. Возможно, он сейчас находится не в лучшей форме. Иванишевич же доказал, что на траве, где игра в основном состоит из коротких розыгрышей, он остается грозной силой. Хотя в паре эпизодов Горан носился по корту как сумасшедший.

- Его и публика наверняка поддерживала?

- Конечно, ведь в 2001 году Горан выиграл Уимблдон. Его здесь хорошо знают и любят.

- Перед началом турнира Иванишевич сказал, что мечтает дожить до начала второй недели, а там, мол, видно будет. Насколько велики его шансы дойти, скажем, до четвертьфинала?

- В принципе это реально, хотя в третьем круге Иванишевичу, скорее всего, придется играть с Ллейтоном Хьюиттом, и против такого бойца хорват едва ли выдюжит в пятисетовом матче. Но соперников среднего уровня он по идее должен побеждать достаточно легко.

- У мужчин, судя по всему, главным фаворитом является Роджер Федерер, уверенно разобравшийся с молодым англичанином Алексом Богдановичем?

- Думаю, да, хотя швейцарец не раскрыл всех своих козырей, поскольку оппонент у него был не слишком серьезный. Федерер сыграл с запасом. Не особо напрягаясь, он сделал ровно столько, сколько было необходимо для победы в трех сетах. Думаю, самые яркие грани своего мастерства Роджер продемонстрирует в более острой борьбе.

- Перейдем к женскому турниру. Стал ли для вас сюрпризом выход во второй круг 47-летней Мартины Навратиловой, обыгравшей 24-летнюю колумбийку Каталину Кастано - 6:0, 6:1?

Если вы следите за событиями в теннисном мире, то объяснять вам, кто такой Виктор Янчук, нет необходимости. Остальным сообщим: он заслуженный тренер России, опытнейший специалист (среди воспитанников которого - бывшие игроки национальной сборной в Кубке Дэвиса Андрей Ольховский и Константин Пугаев), экс-капитан российской команды в Кубке Федерации, а еще - автор ряда персональных фотовыставок и теннисных учебников. В этом году Янчук, который приехал на Уимблдон в 21-й (!) раз, согласился специально для "СЭ" комментировать наиболее интересные события, происходящие на турнире.

- Южноамериканку нельзя назвать теннисисткой высокого уровня. В свою очередь, Навратилова, поддерживающая отличную спортивную форму, хорошо подготовилась к этому турниру. Конечно, с соперницами, которые сильно бьют и быстро бегут, ей придется непросто, однако в понедельник она продемонстрировала хорошую подачу и игру с лета, чего оказалось достаточно для выхода во второй круг. Пройдет ли она дальше? В этом - одна из интриг турнира. Первый матч показал, что за Навратиловой очень интересно наблюдать.

- Француженка Эмили Луа - та самая, которую в первом круге Уимблдона обыграла Татьяна Панова, во время Roland Garros возмутилась тем, что боссы французской федерации предоставили wild card Навратиловой, проигнорировав просьбу одной из молодых теннисисток. А вы считаете правильным решение допустить Мартину в основную сетку?

- Думаю, да. Все-таки на турнирах "Большого шлема" дается большое количество wild cards, и кого-то из способных перспективных игроков тут трудно обойти. А то, что Навратилова - это легенда, которая привлекает публику, да к тому же легенда конкурентоспособная, бесспорно. Зрители в Лондоне получили уникальную возможность вспомнить, что такое классический травяной теннис, в который здесь играли раньше.

- Как вы оцениваете игру Анастасии Мыскиной; которая вслед за Южным вышла на Центральный корт и обыграла 65-ю ракетку мира словачку Любомиру Курхайцову?

- Неоднозначно. Признав в Насте большого мастера, англичане поддерживали Мыскину - возможно, еще и потому, что, имея стройную фигуру, она очень симпатично выглядела в новом белом платье, да и вела себя, как подобает чемпионке Roland Garros. Анастасия повела - 2:0, но при счете 5:3 в ее игре что-то сбилось, а где-то и соперница сыграла более цепко. Ситуация выравнялась - 5:5. Неудивительно, что Мыскина занервничала - видимо, она собой была недовольна. Однако это помогло ей собраться и взять первый сет, почетче сыграв важные мячи. Во второй партии дело пошло быстрее.

В целом на задней линии она выглядела хорошо, однако к сетке выходила, только когда надо было убить мяч или сыграть на перехвате. Поэтому на траве ей придется тяжелее, чем на грунте Roland Garros. Тут очень опасными будут сестры Уильямс, действующие более прямолинейно и обладающие мощной подачей.

Если Мыскиной придется встретиться с кем-то из них, нужно будет решать непростые задачи. Впрочем, немаловажны еще опыт (а Мыскина, несомненно, опытный игрок) и уверенность в себе. К тому же на траве тоже можно побеждать, действуя сзади, что в свое время доказал Андре Агасси.
Старый 23rd June 2004, 20:24
Kasper Kasper вне форума
Чумовой динозаврЪ

Елена Бовина: А по утрам я бегаю в Гайд-парке
23.06.04 "Совесткий Спорт"

Длинных матчей на Уимблдоне ждать не приходится. Отскок быстрый, розыгрыши очка укладываются в один-два удара. Знаменитой Штеффи Граф однажды для победы потребовалось лишь 23 минуты. Москвичке Елене Бовиной потребовалось немного больше, но ее победа над румынкой Галловиц (6:1, 6:2) была убедительной и скорой.

– Вы, наверное, тренировались утром дольше, чем длился сам матч?

– Нет, утром удалось поиграть всего минут десять, потому что до кортов добрались с опозданием. Мы живем в центре Лондона, машина заехала за нами поздно, потом еще пробки, так что нормальной тренировки не получилось.

– Должно быть, важно хорошо потренироваться перед матчем?

– Кому как. Мне как раз достаточно десяти минут, долгие подводки мне не впрок. Конечно, за эти десять минут я должна хорошенько размяться и разогреться. Потом я переодеваю майку – и готова к выходу на матч. Конечно, есть и такие теннисистки, кому нужна основательная тренировка за полчаса до игры. Потом они едят и выходят на корт. Люди разные.

– Вам не показалось, что отскок быстрее, чем обычно?

– В первую неделю трава еще не вытоптана, а по свежей траве мяч проскальзывает особенно быстро. К середине турнира от нашей беготни корты сильно вытрутся, в районе задней линии останется вообще одна земля. Тогда и отскок станет помедленнее.

– После короткого матча нет ли желания снова выйти на корт, выплеснуть нерастраченную энергию в дополнительной тренировке, как делала в свое время Штеффи Граф?

– Да, Граф свои матчи не затягивала, и именно ей это было необходимо. У меня все наоборот. Турнир длинный, две недели, поэтому неизрасходованные силы лучше сохранить, могут пригодиться. Но вечером я, конечно, пробегу кроссик рядом с гостиницей. Мы живем возле Гайд- парка, там есть чудесное озеро с белыми лебедями. Вокруг него я и бегаю.

– Гайд-парк – хорошо, но, наверное, далековато. От него и за час до кортов не доберешься.

– Это точно. Обычно я всегда селилась рядом со стадионом в уимблдонской деревне, но в этом году опоздала с заявкой, поэтому пришлось довольствоваться центром города. Так что как уезжаю утром на стадион, так все вещи беру с собой на целый день. Очень тяжелая сумка получается.

– Кто вас поддерживает на Уимблдоне?

– Мама и тренер Пепе Пласин.

– Я помню, вас совсем недавно тренировала Лариса Нейланд, тренер сборной России на Кубке федерации.

– Ларисе я очень благодарна, и она – тот человек, которому звоню в первую очередь, когда нужен совет. Каждую неделю она со мной ездить не может – за свою жизнь уже напутешествовалась, но на некоторые турниры она согласилась меня сопровождать.

– Скажите несколько слов о новом тренере.

– Он испанец. Мы познакомились в Академии Санчеса, где я готовилась к чемпионату Франции. Там, кстати, замечательные условия и семейная атмосфера. Мы разговорились, мне показались очень интересными его идеи. Так и начали работать.

– Чем можно удивить такого профессионала, как вы?

– Я в академии нашла много нового, о чем раньше не знала. Это касается не только тренировок или ОФП, а, в общем, того, как теннисисту готовиться к соревнованиям. Вообще всегда найдется информация, которую ты раньше не слышала, и, пока ты ее получаешь, есть стимул работать с этим источником информации и дальше. Пепе мне очень помогает.
Старый 23rd June 2004, 23:19
Anonymous

McEnroe: Federer can be the greatest
By John McEnroe
BBC Sport expert at Wimbledon

Roger Federer has the potential to be the best player who ever lived.

That might sound like a big thing to say, but I see him as having the ability to be that dominant.

Against Alex Bogdanovic on Monday he was never really tested.

It was a tough match-up for Alex and he hardly got himself into the sort of position to make Federer sweat.

Federer is filled with confidence at the moment. He's the reigning champion, he won the Australian Open and everything is going the way he wanted it.

His only shaky point all year was the French Open, but that doesn't change my opinion of him.

He's not up to the same level as Pete Sampras yet in terms of titles won, but he has every shot in the game, plus the power and calmness under pressure to back it up.

He's even inventing shots. That forehand half-volley he hits with power is a phenomenal shot - he makes it look too easy.

Every shot he hits looks easy, to be honest. He doesn't even seem to be trying.

I like all his shots but his forehand is my favourite.

He has so much variety with it. He can whip over it and win points from the baseline, or he can punch through it close to the net.

He has very quick feet, so he can get in position to play the shot he chooses, and his balance is perfect.

He can almost hold the ball on his racquet head because his wrists are so much stronger than the average person's.

Very few people can hit his kind of shot.

He's my pick to win Wimbledon - of course he is.

Tennis is just fun for him right now.
Старый 23rd June 2004, 23:28
Anonymous

Punters back the Scud
Herald Sun
June 22, 2004

MARK Philippoussis has been backed into sixth favourite to triumph at Wimbledon, despite not winning a significant match in almost six months.

Glimpses of the All England Club and US Open finalist's form during the Boodle and Dunthorne challenge at Stoke Park last week were sufficient for London betting houses to slash his quote from 50-1 to 25-1.

Beaten in last year's final by Swiss Roger Federer, Philippoussis has not won a rankings-points match since beating Croat Mario Ancic at the Australian Open on January 24.

But straight-sets victories over fellow Australian Todd Reid and Briton Lee Childs in the past three days have boosted 11th seed Philippoussis ahead of a first-round encounter with Belgian qualifier Christophe Rochus.

Philippoussis dodged rain on Sunday as he finalised his preparation after an abysmal string of losses, none worse than the opening-round departure from Queen's Club at the hands of 866th-ranked Welshman Ian Flanagan.

Flanagan was beaten in 39 minutes in the first round of Wimbledon qualifying by 356th-ranked Israeli Andy Ram.

Despite the wretched form, Philippoussis has not lost his belief in his game.

Former world No. 1 and dual Wimbledon finalist Pat Rafter and Philippoussis's former long-time coach Gavin Hopper both predict the Victorian will excel in the next two weeks.

Philippoussis last season came within touching distance of the sport's Holy Grail, accounting for Mariano Zabaleta, Cyril Saulnier, Radek Stepanek, Andre Agassi, Alexander Popp (from two sets to love down) and Sebastien Grosjean.

He was then taken apart in the final in straight sets by Federer, but the enthusiasm for the Philippoussis' grasscourt game endures.

Perhaps inspired by the memories of the Scud's epic Davis Cup final fightback against Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero, plenty of punters are willing to back him.

Federer (6-5) and Andy Roddick (7-2) - Philippoussis's likely semi-final opponent - dominate betting.

Englishman Tim Henman (6-1) and Australia's 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt (7-1) are next in the market. Frenchman Grosjean, twice a Queen's finalist, shares the next line - at 25-1.

Rafter says there are only four obvious title contenders - Federer, Roddick, Henman and Hewitt - but places Philippoussis among the "dangerous floaters".

"Mark's not been in his best form, but he's always had confidence in his ability to go out there and play well," Rafter said. "I'm not sure if he's got as much confidence this time, but he's someone who can play well on grass and he's one of those unpredictable players with a big serve."

Philippoussis gunned down 178 aces at Wimbledon last year, including 46 in his win against Agassi.

Rochus, ranked 117th, has won only one of five matches at the All England Club. Philippoussis's haul is 22-7.

Wayne Arthurs, due to begin his campaign overnight against German Florian Mayer, is rated a 250-1 chance by local bookmakers.

Reid, a wildcard entrant, is at 300-1 ahead of his match today against American 30th seed Vince Spadea.
Ответ

Опции темы